Sports roundup

22:56, Jul 06 2014

Premier club rugby

Logan Savory

The 2014 Southland premier club rugby semifinalists have been found.

The Eastern-Northern Barbarians' 13-10 loss to Marist today has ended their Galbraith Shield title aspirations with Woodlands, Star, Marist and Pirates-Old Boys now confirmed as the semifinalists despite still having one round-robin game to play next weekend.

The Barbarians needed to win their two remaining games to give themselves a chance of moving from their spot at fifth on the table.

They came unstuck against Marist today at Centrepoint Park.


Star grabbed a bonus point 33-27 win over Pirates-Old Boys in the game played at the Les George Oval although they made hard work of it.

Pirates-Old Boys were understrength, missing several key players, but held a 27-26 lead late in the game and looked set to grab what would have been regarded an upset win.

However Star wing Afi Peteru scored late in the game off the back of a Tayler Adams chip kick before Star defended grimly in the dying stages to hold on to the victory.

Woodlands won a high-scoring encounter in the third premier game played at Centrepoint Park today.

They ran out 42-30 winners against Midlands, which confirms Woodlands will finish the round-robin series in top spot.

In the crossover match premier team Blues beat division one team Bluff 33-7.

Results: Star 33, Pirates-Old Boys 27; Marist 13, Eastern-Northern Barbarians 10; Woodlands 42, Midlands 30; Blues 33, Bluff 7.

Division one club rugby

Nathan Burdon

Wyndham ran in nine tries to beat Waikiwi 55-7 in the latest round of the Southland-wide division one competition.

DLS scored three tries in the first half but couldn't add to their tally in a 19-nil win over Pioneer in Gore, while Tokanui beat Mossburn 10-7 and a 13-man Ohai-Nightcaps held on for a 15-10 win over Riversdale.

Edendale claimed top spot in the division when they leap-frogged Te Anau with a 33-30 win to also take the Speights Shield.

Waikaka beat Mataura 37-7.

Division two club rugby

Don Wright

Marist looked every inch a potential division two championship winner with an emphatic 36-10 win over another forerunner Blues at Centrepoint Park, near Invercargill, today.

The black and greens made an ominous statement with a resounding five tries-to-two defeat of Blues, which downed Collegiate last week.

Marist got away to a sluggish start after Blues winger Maka Mohi scored a spectacular long range try after two minutes but Marist quickly regrouped and then commanded an edge for the remainder of the game.

Big and powerful prop F'ae Moeakiola was worth his weight in gold for Marist with three well taken tries and Tai Raumati bagged a brace.

Marist captain Jeremy Boyle, who landed four conversions and a penalty, said he was "very happy'' with his team's performance, which was rated one of its best during a prominent season.

"Blues are always a tough side...the game was quite open in parts with our forwards providing a good platform and the backs duly capitalized,'' he said.

Marist coach Nathan Burgess said Moeakiola was complemented by other useful contributors in lock Jacob O'Connell, halfback Jordan Coutts and winger Peter Taylor.

Riverton coach Steve McKay was thoroughly satisfied with his team's convincing 25-nil win over visitors Pirates-Old Boys which upset then competition co-leader Collegiate a week earlier.

"We defended for most of the first half but set about attacking after the interval and scored four tries,'' McKay said.

Collegiate was too strong for a makeshift Albion Excelsior team, downing the Gore visitors 36-7. Collegiate created many opportunities but didn't always capitalize, player-coach Joe Koroiadi said.  

Results of Southland-wide division two games today were:

CHAMIONSHIP: Marist 36 bt Blues 10; Collegiate 36 bt Albion Excelsior 7; Riverton 25 bt Pirates Old Boys 0.

PLATE: Midlands 31 bt Woodlands 7; Balfour Lumsden 15 bt Waiau Star 13; Central Star 21 bt Wrights Bush 8

Donald Gray football

Stu Munro

It was another day for the favourites in Southland Football's Donald Gray cup competition as Southend United and Queens Park both registered comfortable wins to remain locked in second place on the points table, eight points behind Old Boys who had the bye.

At O'Rorke Park it was all over by halftime in the Queens Park-Waihopai clash as Park raced to a 5-nil lead courtesy of a four goal haul from George Edwards and a Matty Burgess goal.

The second half also belonged to Queens Park as Burgess netted his second, Kevin Downie chimed in with two goals and a Josh Smith goal completed the 9-nil rout.

Southend United began slowly in their 5-1 win over Thistle at the Turf and found themselves a goal down early through a Daniel Ashby goal for Thistle.

Southend regrouped after the setback and by halftime had built up a 3-1 lead with goals from Steve MacDonald, James McFelin and a Thistle own goal.

Steve MacDonald grabbed his second to increase the score to 4-1 early in the second half and another Thistle own goal completed the afternoon's scoring.

Other Results:

Division One: Old Boys 5, Winton 0; Queens Park 3, Western Rovers 1; Gore Wanderers Red 4, GoPro Invercargill Thistle 0; Gore Wanderers Black 3, Arrow International Waihopai 0.

Division Two Cup: Old Boys Black 1, Gore Wanderers 0; Old Boys Red 3, Cleanways Thistle 0; Southend United Green 4, Thistle Blue 2.

Division Two Trophy: Queens Park 7, Western Rovers 1; Old Boys White 8, Queens Park Masters 1; Southend United Black 4, Smiths City Waihopai 0.

Highlanders first XV scores:

Championship: Kings 15 Menzies 3; Otago Boys' High School 43 John McGlashan 5; Southland Boys' High School 50 Mt Aspiring 7.Plate: South Otago High School 77 Central Southland College 7; Dunstan 50 James Hargest College 7. St Peters v Gore High to be played at a later date.

Club hockey

Jonny Turner

Mataura and Southern A won contrasting games of women's premier grade hockey in the ninth round of their Southland-wide competition over the weekend.

Southern A set a hectic early pace in their match against Hokonui in Invercargill today.

The home team piled on five first half goals, to Hokonui's one.

Hokonui lifted their game in the second half with three goals, but were unable to catch their opponents, who scored twice more.

The 7-4 final score line impressed winning captain Rebecca Roberston.

Southern A "played really well as a team," which was the key to their victory, she said.

Riversdale made competition front runners Mataura work hard for their 3-1 victory in the round's other match.

Each team scored midway through the first half, to set up a game that was deadlocked for much of the contest.

Mataura were able to gain the lead in the middle stages of the second stanza after a sustained period of attack.

They notched one more goal with 30 seconds to play, while Riversdale had a player in the sin bin, to seal the 3-1 victory.

The Southland Times