Former Australian netballer Megan Dehn has confirmed she is weighing up returning to play for Southern Steel for next year's ANZ Championship season.
Dehn's experience was an asset to Steel this season, and it's likely the franchise would jump at the chance to have her back, after former Steel co-captain and midcourter Jenny-May Coffin's withdrawal from the team last month.
Steel has just three shooters in its ranks for next season — Donna Wilkins, Daneka Wipiiti and Julianna Naoupu — so Dehn's shooting experience would make her an ideal candidate to fill the 12th spot.
She was also particularly strong through the midcourt, which could see her used as a backup wing attack.
However, Dehn's future in netball is far from confirmed.
"I'm deciding firstly whether to play or not; I am thinking about retiring so that's the first big decision, after that it's whether to come back down (to Southland)," she said.
"I loved it this year and loved the girls and the team's probably stronger next year, so it's a good opportunity, but it's also a big commitment.
I understand most of the girls will be living there (in either Southland or Otago). This year it was easy for me to travel, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with that when the girls are down there all the time." Dehn confirmed she was in talks with Steel chief executive Julie Paterson and said there were also "a couple of other (franchises) in the pipeline as well" .
Dehn's mind would need to be made up by November 1, when franchises had to have final team lists submitted to Trans-Tasman Netball Ltd (TTNL) by noon on that date.
"I absolutely loved it (playing for Steel this year), I loved the support, I loved Robyn as a coach, the girls were great and the majority of them are going back. Donna (Wilkins) will be playing, so it's a great opportunity to play with her ... it would definitely be a great team to play for and Southland is a great environment ... but it is a big call for me," Dehn said.
- The Southland Times