Sports Roundup

00:48, May 16 2012

Welcome to our first weekend Sports Roundup section where we bring you updates as to what is happening in the southern sporting scene.

Keep checking back as we will update this section as results come through.

Mountain Biking Win

Southland's Ian Wright has won the Moonride 24 hour Mountain Bike race in Rotorua yesterday, winning by more than one lap.

''I completed 46 laps with a distance of about 303kms. Although it did not rain the track was incredibly muddy and drained the energy of alot of riders. I took this into consideration at the start and paced myself with fairly quick and consistent laps of 30 minutes. By 3pm I was leading and from there I rode safely but still kept the pace fast. I saw so many other riders with mechanical problems so it was important for me to look after my bike, washing the drive every 3rd lap. My support crew was Brendon Lines and he did an excellent job of keeping batteries charged and ready to use, keeping the food and drinks ready and keeping me up to date on my rivals.''

Southland Division Two Rugby


A well-disciplined and gutsy Pioneer dug deep to preserve its unbeaten record in four games with a tense 17-14 success over hosts Star in Invercargill yesterday.

After leading 12-7 at halftime, Pioneer was under the hammer in the second half when Star got its act together and mounted wave after wave of attack on the Pioneer line.

Ill discipline, including back chat to referee Leon Venter, and stomping saw Star on the end of a hefty penalty count and was unable to hammer home good field position.

Star players and management were at a loss to understand other penalties handed out for premature shoving and failing to touch their opposites before scrum feeds.

By rights, Star should have won but Pioneer, a competition heavyweight which has already had the bye, demonstrated better composure and effectively withstood some telling Star assaults.

“We could not understand some penalties dished out to us but, no excuses, as we were beaten by a better team on the day,’’ Star coach Oz Harvey said.

“Nevertheless, we got a bonus point out if it so not all was lost.’’

Pioneer coach Gavin Hickey said he was happy with his team’s showing after a lengthy break from playing because of a bye and no rugby during duck shooting.

Hickey, from Bristol in the United Kingdom, played for Pioneer for three years before taking over the coaching.

Bluff kept its unbeaten record intact and cemented its position at the top of the points ladder with a runaway 61-0 defeat of hapless visitors Woodlands which is struggling at the bottom of the ladder.

Bluff ran in 11 tries in its romp at the visitors’ expense and continues to look a likely division two winner.

Central Pirates gained a popular first win of the season with its 16-5 win over hosts Tokanui and a threatening young Wyndham team again served notice of its ability with a 54-5 hammering of hosts Pirates-Old Boys in Invercargill.

“I am rapt with them…They are gaining confidence and playing better every week,’’ Wyndham coach Davin Heaps enthused. They were getting ball wide after building good platforms.’’

Wyndham has won four of its five games and looks a big chance to improve further and make the distant play-offs.


Southland Premier Club Rugby



2012 is one of the tightest Southland premier club competitions in decades and if that was not evident before yesterday it certainly is now.

From the three premier club rugby games played today three points was the highest winning margin as all games come down to tense finishes.

Probably the most exciting of them all was Marist's 36-35 win over Pirates-Old Boys.
The young Marist lineup showed plenty of enthusiasm as the made all the early play in this game.
Playing at Surrey Park Marist raced out to a 10-nil lead and at halftime held a 21-14 lead.

When centre Keanu Kahukura scored the second of his two tries and Marist pushed out to a 33-21 lead in the second half the curtain was being lowered on the home team hopes.

But while Pirates-Old Boys can leak points what they can also do is score plenty and they showcased this mounting an impressive comeback scoring two tries and grabbing a 35-33 lead late in the game.

The momentum had shifted the way of Pirates-Old Boys and the young Marist looked set to be dealt a cruel blow after impressing for a majority of the game.

But in their artillery they have a match-winner, a guy that looks like he handles pressure in the mould of a seasoned veteran, not a 20-year-old in his second season of senior club rugby.
That match-winner was first five-eighth Scott Eade.

With time running out Marist were awarded a penalty close to 40m out and 10m to 15m in from the touchline.
Eade calmly stepped up to slot the ball through the uprights to get his team the lead back which eventually booked a thrilling 36-35 win.

Pirates-Old Boys first five-eighth Elgan O'Donnell did have an attempted shot at goal with time almost up but it was outside his range and the ball dropped short.

In another one point thriller Star grabbed a much needed win over Midlands at Waverly Park today.
The home side had raced out to a 13-nil lead thanks to a try to Junior Ngaluafe and a conversion and two penalties to Taylor Adams.

However Midlands mounted a late comeback to bridge the gap to 13-12 but could not quite overhaul Star as the blue-and-whites held on for a win.

In the third game played yesterday Woodlands retained the Challenge Cup beating the Eastern-Northern Barbarians 22-19 in a top-of-the-table clash.

Southland Division One Club Rugby

The highly competitive Division One Competition produced two cliffhangers, an upset and a game two halves in round five on Saturday.

The match between Riversdale and Waikiwi went down to the wire, with the home side able to hold on for a 27-26 win over the fast finishing Waikiwi side.

Waikiwi scored a converted try early in the match before Riversdale put together 24 points before half time.

Waikiwi closed the gap to 27-12 after 65 minutes but the jovial crowd were still in a confident mood on their Club Day, but their was tense finish in store as Waikiwi scored two converted tries to claim two bonus points

Mataura provided the upset of the round by beating Drummond Limehills Star 28-15 at Tulloch Park. Mataura are always a stronger side on their home patch and led 10 nil at halftime. The visitors were still in the game when trailing 23 -10 after 65 minutes, but the home side held on. DLS missed their chance to move into outright second with a forgettable performance

The Te Anau and Waikaka clash lived up to expectations with Waikaka stealing victory in the last play of the game to win 18-17.

Waiau Star put in a good effort but could not contain the dangerous Edendale who won 28-12. Edendale's win was built on their first half which built on a 21 point lead.

Jeroe and Bram Fodie orchestrated much of the attack, while Karl Lawerance excelled as free-ranging lock.

 Southland Division One Hockey

In the Southland men's competition on Friday night Lee Erskine impressed as a midfielder for Phoenix scoring two goals to help his side to a 6-2 win over Central in Invercargill.

Next up, the Collegiate men could not match Eastern United as the visitors huge team effort advanced them to a much desired 4-2 win over the home side.

In the women's competition today, Speight's Ale House Southern's youngest player, 13 year old striker Emma Hopcroft played well above her years to earn player of the day and scored her first hat-trick of the season in a 4-2 win over SIT Collegiate yesterday.

Mataura entered the half time break 2-nil up against Hokonui in Gore.  They then struck an unstoppable roll and goal scoring machines Renee Sinclair, Celia Dickie and Rebecca King each added a hat-trick to their telly to complete the whitewash 9-nil.

Phoenix beat Central 6-2
Eastern United beat Collegiate 4-2

Speights Ale House Southern beat SIT Collegiate 4-2
Mataura beat Hokonui 9-0

Highlanders First XV School Rugby

James Hargest College have fallen agonisingly short of winning their first game in the Highlanders-wide First XV rugby competition, losing 24-19 to Dunstan High in Invercargill yesterday.

The competition new-boys have shown some encouraging signs in the opening three rounds of the season and threw everything they had at Dunstan this afternoon.

Dunstan went into halftime up 21-19 after an entertaining first half, but the second half was a defensive battle with only three points being scored.

James Hargest had chances to win the game during the second half, but coach Hugh Andrews said silly mistakes cost his team at crucial times.
No.8 Anton Huisman produced an excellent performance for Hargest in the loss, scoring two tries, and getting through a power of work.

South Otago High scored three late tries overcome a plucky Josh McGlashan side 24-6 in Balclutha. Hooker Josh Turnball and centre Reuben McClay were standouts in the win for South Otago.

Gore High were too strong for Menzies College in Wyndham, winning 28-17, after they held a 17-12 lead at halftime. Gore High midfielder and captain Hayden Stephen had another impressive showing for his team, scoring a try in the win, with Jarvis Wallace also going well in the backline.

Elsewhere, King's High School pipped St Kevin's College 24-21 in Oamaru, while Waitaki Boys' overpowered Kavanagh College 53-5.
Highlanders First XV heavyweights Southland Boys' and Otago Boys' complete the round in Dunedin on Wednesday, in what doubles as an interschool game.

Results: Waitaki Boys' High 53, Kavanagh 5; South Otago 24, John McGlashan 6; Gore High 28, Menzies College 17; Dunstan High 24, James Hargest 19; King's High 24, St Kevin's College 21.

Chatham Cup Football

Old Boys have come from two goals down to knock over Dunedin club Green Island in the first round of the Chatham Cup national knockout competition yesterday.
The Donald Gray Cup competition leaders appeared to be set for a long afternoon after Green Island scored twice during the opening 20 minutes of the game.
Old Boys eventually awoke from their slumber and went into halftime on level terms after great long-range individual strikes from Barra Toubat and Brandon de Garnham late in the half. Toubat put Old Boys in front for the first time, five minutes after halftime, with a beautiful left foot volley into the top corner and that was the way it remained.
Queens Park have also progressed through to the second round after they ground out a tough 2-1 victory over South Canterbury club Pleasant Point. Waihopai suffered a 2-1 loss to Dunedin side Grants Braes at Surrey Park.

Results: Old Boys 3, Green Island 2; Queens Park 2, Pleasant Point 1; Waihopai 1, Grants Braes 2.

Club Rugby League

The Wakatipu Giants pulled off what would have to be regarded an upset beating the Mataura Warriors 42-10 in the Southland District Rugby League club game played in Queenstown yesterday.
Mataura last Sunday lost 58-12 to the Lonestar Cowboys but most expected them to bounce back with a win over the Wakatipu Giants today.

The Giants led 18-4 at halftime before stretching out to the comfortable 42-10 win.
The other two games will be played today with the Cowboys taking on Winton and City-Invercargill playing the Cooks.

The Southland Times