Sports Roundup

06:09, Jul 27 2013

Division one club rugby

By John Langford

In Division One action Te Anau beat Riversdale 21-5 in an entertaining game in front of a big crowd at Te Anau.

The locals led 8-nil after 20 minutes, before fullback Napoli Seru converted his own try to stretch the lead.

Riversdale put together a good period of play before halftime and were rewarded with a try to wing Scott Weller.

Seru kicked two goals in the third quarter. Riversdale finished the strongest, but couldn't get across the line in the scoreless fourth quarter.


Bluff were too good for their visitors from Drummond Limehills Star, winning 22-8.

Bluff led 12-5 at halftime and 17-8 after 60 minutes.

Edendale and Wyndham drew 10-all in their local derby. Neither of these sides qualify for next week's semifinals.

Waikaka extended their lead in the Plate competition with a 33-5 win over Pioneer at Newman Park in Gore.

The visitors had built a handy 18-point lead at halftime.

In a high scoring match at Tuatapere, Waikiwi beat Waiau Star 59-34.

Division two club rugby

By Don Wright

Albion Excelsior and Ohai Nightcaps will fight out next Saturday's Southland wide division two rugby final.

Excelsior had a hard final workout when it accounted for Riverton 22-7 in their semifinal and Ohai Nightcaps were too good for southern Southland visitors Tokanui 27-12 in the other semifinal.

Excelsior coach Jason Webb sung the praises of Riverton after.

"Full marks to Riverton because they came out roaring and came to play, leading us 7-5 at halftime,'' he said.

"My team got their act together and dug very deep in the second half and stuck at our game and came on well.''

Webb said his two locks were injured today and he would wait and see how serious their problems were.

Steve McKay was thrilled by his Riverton team who were worthy semifinalists with usual No 8 Reuben Hopcroft "having a blinder at centre.''

McKay also praised the contribution of the club's 39-year-old president Rodney Lonneker who played his first full game of the season at second five eighth.

Beaten Tokanui coach Rata Smith said Ohai Nightcaps had too much upper body strength for his gallant team.

"They held us up at crucial times a few times and that made a big difference.

Smith unreservedly congratulated Ohai Nightcaps and said they deserved their win.

Their polished pivot Daniel Low scored a try, kicked four penalties, a conversion and a dropped goal.

Braden Cochrane (try) was the only other points scorer for Ohai Nightcaps.

Results of today's division two semi finals:

Albion Excelsiot bt Riverton 22-7

Ohai Nightcaps bt Tokanui 27-12

Club football

By Stu Munro

Old Boys claimed another valuable point in their bid to steer clear of relegation from the Football South Premier League when they drew 2-all with Mosgiel in Mosgiel.

It looked to be all-good for Old Boys when they struck the lead through Jack Boland and then doubled it to 2-nil straight after halftime when Frank O'Boyle scored.

However, Mosgiel fought back with a goal to cut back the lead to 2-1, then despite being reduced to 10 players following a red card to a defender, grabbed a late equaliser to spoil Old Boys' afternoon.

Meanwhile, in Invercargill, Southend United ensured they go into the final game of the Donald Gray cup competition next week with a one point lead over Queens Park when they dealt to Waihopai 5-1 at Surrey Park.

Mark Faulkner led the way for Southend with a hat-trick of goals, two coming from clever exchanges with James McFelin.

Mike Sheridan and Kyle Schins completed Southend's tally.

At Gore, second placed Queens Park kept their slim hopes alive with a 5-2 win over Wanderers.

Matty Burgess (2), Tobi Reid (2) and Stu Kent did the damage for Park.

Thistle gained their first win of the season when they accounted for Old Boys 2-nil at the ILT Turf courtesy of goals from Todd Findlater and Darren Dummigan.

Points: Southend 36, Queens Park 35, Waihopai 22, Old Boys 16, Gore Wanderers 7, Thistle 5.

Club hockey

By Ashleigh Reid

It was two contrasting games of hockey in the premier women's semi-finals today.

Mataura comfortably beat SIT-Collegiate 5-1 in Gore, while Speight's Ale House Southern narrowly pipped Riversdale 3-2 in penalty strokes after the game was all sqaure at the fulltime whistle.

Mataura always looked to be the stronger team against SIT Collegiate and opened the scoring 10 minutes into the game when Rebecca Meikle slotted the ball into the goal.

Aimee Heaps followed this up with a nice field goal five minutes from halftime giving Mataura a 2-nil lead at the break.

Both teams came out strongly in the second half and were soon putting each other's keepers under pressure, but it was Mataura who found the goal with Kirstie Clark finishing off a goal mouth melee.

Emma de Pass followed this up two minutes later.

Heaps claimed her second mid-way through the half, while SIT-Collegiate got a consolation goal through substitute Scott Balneaves.

It was high intensity in Invercargill as Riversdale and Southern were locked in a 1-all draw after two periods of extra time.

Fiona Ward scored for Southern in the first half, and Lana McKay scored for Riversdale in the second half.

The game went to penalty strokes where it was Southern who edged ahead.

Southern converted two strokes through Andie Dillon and Sarah Allan, while Riversdale only converted one, through Lydia Shirley.

The Southland Times