Youthmark winner heads to Otago
Winning a Youthmark Award is a deserving honour for Devon Winders as she nears the end of her education at Riverton's Aparima College.
The award was for her achievements in leadership, sport and music.
Next month Winders leaves the college after seven years of attendance. She will pack her bags in February for a shift to Dunedin, where she is to study law and anthropology at Otago University.
Head girl at the college, Winders captained the school's netball team in the B grade section of the South Island secondary schools' under-19 tournament in Christchurch in July.
The college's head of physical education, Richard Jones, said it was the team's first year in B grade and they finished a satisfactory seventh.
For the third consecutive year, Winders was selected for the tournament team. She wants to continue playing netball competitively, not socially, in Dunedin.
Surfing and athletics are other interests of the 18-year-old.
"I'd love to try girls' rugby and basketball . . . maybe I'll get into it when I go to Otago, " she said.
The teenager will miss Aparima College, especially the teachers.
"It's a pretty special, small school. Everyone's close."
Mr Jones said Winders was a high achiever with a bright future.
"Academically, she is very strong. She's a really good leader and good role model for the kids."
At a glance:
- Head Girl of Aparima College in 2013.
- Member of student council.
- House Captain 2012.
- Member of the 2012 Young Enterprise group who won a national excellence award.
- Academically, Devon performs at the highest level - Level 2 NCEA Excellence endorsement in 2012.
- Intends to study at the University of Otago in 2014 towards a Law Degree
- Captain of Aparima College netball team.
- Coaches a junior netball team.
- Plays premier netball for Riverton.
- Southland under-19 netball team 2013.
- Named in the South Island secondary schools netball team 2013 after South Island secondary schools competition. New Zealand development netball squad 2012 and 2013
- Southland under-17 netball team 2011 and 2012. Captain in 2012.
- Accomplished singer, songwriter and musician. Plays the guitar and sings original compositions.
- Lead singer in school band which won the Southland regional rockquest in 2012.
- Leadership and commitment to the wider life of the school.
- Participating in various sports, including paddles up, cycling, athletics, surfing and badminton.
- © Fairfax NZ News