Hames to miss Rebels clash after guilty plea
Highlanders prop Kane Hames will miss Friday's game against the Rebels after pleading guilty to a dangerous charge during Saturday's loss to the Blues.
Hames's early plea and clean record meant the suspension was downgraded from the entry level of two weeks for the offence.
The loosehead was cited after the game at Eden Park for a 59th minute incident where he drove into a ruck and made contact with former Highlanders lock Hayden Triggs.
Sanzar duty judicial officer Jannie Lubbe said video evidence clearly showed Hames had made contact with Triggs' head and neck, but it was not done with excessive speed or force.
Lubbe accepted the submission by Hames' representative Rob Harris that the incident had been a clumsy attempt at clearing out the ruck, with no direct harm intended.
"The player is a young man with a clean record and fortunately the Blues player suffered no serious injury according to the medical report filed," Lubbe said.
"The incident was categorised at low entry level. The player pleaded guilty and accepted the sanction of one week which was reduced from two weeks due to the player's record and plea."
The Southland Times