Sharks seek temp replacement for Conklin
Southland Sharks' American import Brian Conklin is expected to be sidelined for two weeks and the Sharks may well be in a position to announce a temporary replacement this morning to cover for at least the next three games.
Sharks NBL coach Paul Henare confirmed yesterday that Conklin would need time to get his hamstring injury right.
Henare was hopeful he might have Conklin back for the game against Hawke's Bay in Invercargill on Saturday April 26.
If that is the case, it means Conklin will miss Friday night's game against the Super City Rangers in Invercargill and then the double header on the road the following weekend, against Wellington on Good Friday and then Manawatu on the Saturday night.
Conklin's loss will be a big blow for Southland with the American one of the key figures in helping the Sharks to a title last year.
Henare is attempting to fill the void by bringing in another import for at least the next three games.
"We are just working on seeing if we can get a temporary replacement and see if we can rustle something up," he said.
"I've had a couple of discussions with an agent over in Australia so hoping to get something locked in and should be able to confirm it [this morning]," he said.
- Fairfax Media