Teen targets Hastings 1500m
Multi-sportsman Matthew Prince is off to Hastings this week for an Interprovincial athletics meet.
The James Hargest College student is entered for the 1500m, 800m, 400m, medley relay and high jump at the Interprovincial, which is on Saturday and Sunday.
He prefers 1500m races because "it's not too short and it's not too long."
However, this week didn't start well for Matthew because he awoke yesterday with swollen glands and a sore throat. On Sunday, he finished second in the under-19 section of the Ascot Park Hotel Triathlon. The 13-year-old hoped to be well enough for a James Hargest cross-country run today.
Matthew has set himself a goal for the 1500m at Hastings, to run inside the Southland record of 4min 33.8sec for his age group. The record was set in 1989.
He will switch to harriers and Saturday road-cycling competitions during the late autumn and winter.
Matthew Prince's sporting achievements in the past year.
- Southland secondary schools: First.
- South Island secondary schools triathlon: First. New Zealand secondary schools triathlon championships: Seventh.
- Southland Triathlon Challenge: First junior male.
- Lake Hayes Duathlon: First under- 19 male.
- Ascot Park Hotel Triathlon: First junior male (last year).
- Ascot Park Hotel Triathlon: Second in under-19 (Sunday).
- Southland secondary schools under-14 boys' 1500m: First.
- Southland secondary schools under-14 boys' 3000m: Second.
- South Island secondary schools under-14 boys' 1500m: Fourth.
- South Island secondary schools under-14 boys' 3000m: Fifth. Otago-Southland secondary schools under-14 boys' 3000m: Second.
- Colgate Games boys' 13 1500m: Third.
- Colgate Games boys' 13 800m: Third. MOUNTAINBIKING
- Midwinter enduro: First junior male
- Southland representative.
- The Southland Times