No more race riding for Moir

RETIRED JOCKEYS: Stewart Moir, left, and Bob Skelton.
RETIRED JOCKEYS: Stewart Moir, left, and Bob Skelton.

Stewart Moir, who won 36 races as a jumps jockey, has retired from race riding after an injury.

Moir, 33, shattered his pelvis and dislocated his hip when a horse he was riding in training reared backwards and fell in October. Moir is employed by the stable of Wingatui trainer Steve Anderton.

''I have been told by the medical people that I risk dislocating my hip again in a fall and I have given up raceday riding,'' Moir said.

''You just have to take the bad with the good.''

He has been on light duties, excluding riding trackwork.

''I have another lot of X-rays next month to assess the injuries.''

Moir has had his share of setbacks. He has broken his collarbone and a foot in race falls. He underwent surgery in 2011 for bowel cancer.

Moir won the 2007 Homeby Steeplechase at Riccarton on Personal Success. He won the Otago Hurdles on Gold Jet (2003), Cheap Date (2011) and Cee Gee Jay (2012).

Moir rode Gold Jet in the early part of his jumping career for three hurdle wins and two over country, including the 2003 Novice Steeplechase at the Grand National meeting.

Moir rode Nicholman to finish second in the 2008 and 09 Grand National Steeplechases. He had ridden Nicholman to win a maiden steeple at Oamaru a month before his first National attempt. The rider also won nine races on the flat, the first on Gold Coaster at Riccarton in 1998.

The majority of Moir's jumping winners were trained by Brian and Shane Anderton. He served the final three years of his apprenticeship with the Anderton stable and schooled jumpers for them on a regular basis.

''Brian was just like a father to me,'' said Moir, the father of daughters, Jade, 4, and Lucy, three months.

Moir had the retired ace jockey, Bob Skelton for company when attending to stable chores yesterday.

Skelton, 79, is on a visit from Melbourne to Wingatui, where he was based for 12 years from 1954. He is staying with Hec Anderton, brother of Skelton's late wife, Maureen.

Skelton rode Great Sensation to win the Wellington Cup in three successive years from 1961 for Mosgiel owner-trainer, Mick Brown.

Skelton had shifted to Auckland when he rode Princess Mellay in her second successive New Zealand Cup win in 1971. Princess Mellay was trained from Pink Robe Lodge, close to Steve's stable, by Hector Anderton sen and raced by his wife, Alice.

The treble of Wellington Cups and New Zealand Cup are among the 20 two mile or 3200m wins for Skelton, who won the 1976 Melbourne Cup on Van Der Hum.

Skelton said that Trelay, a stablemate of Princess Mellay, had given him one of his biggest disappointments in racing when third in the 1973 Wellington Cup.

''David Peake, who was riding Rustler looked over to me at the furlong (200m) and said when are you going to let him (Trelay) go. He just felt enormous. The next few strides Trelay began to tangle behind. He had broken down,'' Skelton said.

Trelay finished third, half a head and a nose from Rustler and Glengowan. That was to be the last race for the 6-year-old son of Mellay- Treasure Pond.

He was retired to White Robe Lodge Stud and sired the 1981 Wellington Cup winner, Koiro Trelay.

The Diamond One returned to Steve Anderton's stable yesterday after an unplaced run at Otaki on Saturday. The Diamond One will be aimed at the $70,000 South Island Breeders' Stakes at Riccarton on March 22.

''She (The Diamond One) lost condition on the trip although she ate up and we hope she will freshen with a few days off,'' said Ray Dennis, her part owner.

The Glitzy One returned from Auckland last week after losing form. ''There are some good listed races for her in the South Island during the autumn.''

The Solitaire has remained at Karaka and she will continue her campaign in the weight-for-age New Zealand Stakes at Ellerslie on March 8. She ran third to Costume and Shuka in the weight-for-age Herbie Dyke Stakes at Te Rapa at her last start.

The Dennis brothers had the misfortune to lose The Force on Saturday. He died of a twisted bowel after contracting colic. The 4-year-old Pentire-The Persuader gelding was in the Takanini stable of Stephen McKee and he had cleared maiden ranks over 2100m at Te Rapa at his last start, his seventh race.

''It is disappointing because we had waited on him to develop. He was a big horse,'' Dennis said.

(Live Matches)