Microsoft executive to buy Clippers for US$2b

Last updated 12:13 30/05/2014
Steve Ballmer
Getty
BIG MONEY: Former Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer has reportedly offered $2 billion to buy the LA Clippers.

Relevant offers

Basketball

Breakers import Charles Jackson happy to make it off struggle street Former Philadelphia 76ers basketball star Darryl Dawkins dies of a heart attack NBA star Steven Adams reveals admiration for Tall Blacks captain Mika Vukona Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose accused of rape in lawsuit filed by his former girlfriend New NZ Breakers import Charles Jackson ready to do whatever it takes NBA star Steven Adams a no-show at Motueka High School Mystics upsize shooting with signing of 2.04m Tall Fern Megan Craig Former NBA star Andrei Kirilenko to head Russian Basketball Federation NZ Breakers cool on Corey Webster link with NBA tryout Breakers snap up Nelson Giants forward Finn Delany on development contract

Steve Ballmer, the former CEO of Microsoft, is set to buy the Los Angeles Clippers for a staggering US$2 billion (NZ$2.35 billion), according to the LA Times.

The one-time software company executive is understood to have offered significantly more for the NBA franchise than two rival bidding groups, who reportedly tabled offers of US$1.6 billion and US $1.2 billion respectively.

If the deal goes through, it will eclipse the previous record sale price of an NBA franchise by nearly four times.

Earlier this month, the Milwaukee Bucks were purchased for US$550 million.

The sale of baseball franchise, the Los Angeles Dodgers, in 2012 for US$2.1 billion, however, remains the most paid for any sports team in North America.

News of Ballmer's likely purchase of the Clippers comes at a time when the lawyer for disgraced owner Donald Sterling said his client was prepared to sue the NBA if it went ahead with action to strip the club from him.

Sterling was handed a life ban by the NBA after a recording capturing him making disparaging racist remarks was posted on gossip website TMZ in April.

Maxwell Blecher, speaking on the same day as news of Ballmer's staggering bid emerged, said Sterling wants to hear from the league before a scheduled hearing with the board of governors next Wednesday.

At that meeting, Sterling's fellow 29 owners are due to vote on whether to force him to rescind his ownership of the Clippers.

"The league on Tuesday (Wednesday NZT) has a guillotine over Mr Sterling's head," Blecher told AFP.

"They will confiscate his team illegally and, if they don't want a lawsuit challenging that conduct, they need to let us know before Tuesday.

"Thus far, we have heard nothing."

The 29 NBA franchise owners would also need to approve any potential sale of the franchise. 

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

How do you expect the Breakers to perform in this season's Australian NBL?

Last season was a blip, they'll be champions once again

They'll go close to another title, beaten finalists I'd say

Playoffs for sure, but can't see them going any further

Not too excited, they'll miss the playoffs again

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content