Christchurch Cougars withdraw from NBL
The Christchurch Cougars have withdrawn from the 2011 National Basketball League (NBL) competition in the wake of last month's devastating earthquake.
Cougars chief executive Amy Gardiner said the decision to sit out this season, accepted by the NBL board, was made after the impact of the quake on the people of Christchurch.
"Although it is extremely disappointing to make this decision, we know that this is in the best interest of our people who have been affected and we must put them first at the moment when times are so very confusing.
"Our team was raring and ready to go, however this is no different than every other sports team and business when everything changed that day just two weeks ago," she said.
A new draw for the competition, which tips off on April 13, has yet to be made.