The ANBL will operate separately from Basketball Australia, with a newly-formed leadership group to take control of the league.
The National Basketball Competition (NBC), which represents all ANBL clubs, on Thursday signed a heads of agreement with BA to proceed with a de-merger ahead of the 2013/14 season.
The process is set to be completed by July 1. As a result, the NBC will take commercial and operational control of the NBL.
It will also enter into an agreement with BA to make sure the competition complies with International Basketball Federation rules.
Chief executive Kristina Keneally said BA will continue to work closely with the new competition group to make sure the league remains strong.
‘‘As we’ve said throughout this process, a national men’s competition is crucial to the future of basketball in Australia,’’ Keneally said in a statement.
‘‘Basketball Australia has worked cooperatively with NBL clubs to explore the practical implications of a de-merger, and we’re pleased to have agreed on an appropriate path forward.
‘‘Basketball Australia remains supportive of the NBL; we want the league to be successful and sustainable in its own right.’’
The national league had some dramas earlier this year, when the Townsville Crocodiles tried to hand back their licence. But it is understood they have been invited to continue to play in the NBC-run competition.
The league is also currently negotiating a free-to-air TV deal with Network Ten.
How do you expect the Breakers to perform in this season's Australian NBL?Related story: (See story)