March 2012 - The Volvo Ocean Race Issue
The wait is almost over. After a 10-year hiatus, the Volvo Ocean Race returns to Auckland this month and we've got long overdue City of Sails stopover covered in our special 16-page feature in this month's bumper issue of Boating New Zealand.
There's also all your usual favourites including the latest boats, news, views, cruising and practical tips. On sale March 5.
So, what's inside?
- If a mid-sized luxury launch is on your horizon, Formula Cruiser's Icon 42 might just be for you. See our BONUS PHOTO GALLERY.
Plus: We take a look at the European yachts and motorboats of the year, unveil a new Gary Lidgard-designed, Fusion Marine built NZL48 powercat and ponder a clever, folding sailing cat out of Germany.
VOLVO OCEAN RACE SPECIAL
As the VOR fleet charges toward Auckland, we ask if the great round-the-world race has lost the plot, explain why the sprint from North Cape to North Head will ultimately decide leg 4, remember Auckland's famous Whitbread/Volvo finishes, talk to Camper rookie Adam Minoprio and take a look at where the 2011-12 VOR will be decided in the remaining legs. There's also a guide to the Auckland race village, stopover entertainment and info on Auckland's pro-am and in-port races. BONUS GALLERY
- Ports of Auckland's expansion plans caught many by surprise. We dig deeper to discover some alarming implications for recreational boaties.
- Rhys Clement read a feature about barrelbacks in Boating NZ last April. Less than a year later the Melbourne-based chippie has built himself a stunning wee boat. We have his inspiring story.
- This month's My Boat column features Tony Smith and his trusty Ross 930 Fast Company.
- A mooring in the Bay of Island's has been voted the best in the world by a renowned international magazine. We unveil the spot.
- Jim and Karin Lott continue their circumnavigation on Victoria with some passage adventures
- Bluewater greenhorns Malcolm and Sally Meek remember the frantic preparations that allowed them to chase their South Pacific dream with the Island Cruising Association
- Tom Mulvey visits the new cruising jewel in the Hauraki Gulf crown, Rotoroa Island.
- Boating staffer Sam Stewart heads to alloy boat building school to prove even those with minimal DIY experience can build a kitset runabout.
- Don't know how to bleed your diesel engine? You will now thanks to Lawrence Schaffler's step-by-step guide. See our BONUS VIDEO.
- Boating's resident fisho, John Eichelsheim, shows you how to get more bites for your buck by fishing closer to home.
- Vintage Perspectives columnist Harold Kidd reports from the Mahurangi Classics Regatta. See our BONUS GALLERY.
- John Macfarlane completes his fascinating four-part series on Kiwi design legend Bruce Farr in his ever popular Retros and Classics column.
All this and much more in the March 2012 issue of Boating. On sale March 5.
Please note: For Auckland retail customers, please look out for the special edition Volvo Ocean Race cover. Elsewhere in New Zealand, the new Fyran 695 Pursuit will grace your March cover.
- © Fairfax NZ News