Man detained after athletes village altercation

Last updated 12:03 31/07/2014
Francois Etoundi
Getty Images
BRONZE WINNER: Francois Etoundi.

Relevant offers

Commonwealth Games

Bang for NZ's Commonwealth Games buck Webster credits mentality for Glasgow gold rush Sophie Pascoe out of Pan Pacifics with illness How the Commonwealth Games stacked up Kiwi boxers attract promoters after Glasgow Silver Ferns captain quiet on background issues Fitting end for cyclists as Bauer makes podium Kiwi Matt King working with Brownlee brothers 'Friendly Games' bring smile to 'mean city' From red shoes to gold medal - dreams come true

A bronze medal winning Australian weightlifter has been detained by police over an alleged altercation at the Commonwealth Games athletes village in Glasgow.

It was understood Scottish police would allege in court today that Francois Etoundi assaulted a Welsh athlete.

A Team Wales spokesperson has confirmed that a member of their Commonwealth Games team was assisting police.

"We're aware of an incident that occurred overnight involving a member of Team Wales and we're currently working with Police Scotland to assist them with their enquiries," the spokesperson said.

"Whilst the facts around the matter are being established it would be wrong for us to comment any further."

The 29-year-old was detained after police responded to a report of a disturbance at the 35-hectare village, located nearby Celtic Stadium in the city's east end, at about 6am Wednesday (NZT 5pm Wednesday).

Etoundi was one of three lifters that represented Cameroon in the Melbourne Commonwealth Games in 2006 before staying after their competition visas had expired and seeking asylum.

It looked to be a substantial boost for Australian weightlifting, but two of the three have now caused major issues for the sport.

Along with Etoundi was lifter Simplice Ribouem, who was controversially denied gold in Glasgow earlier this week, and Daniel Koum.

Koum was at the centre of an alleged blackmail storm prior to the London Olympics, in which he was accused of demanding $5000 in a lead-up event or he would refuse to lift, a move that would have cost Australia its only spot at the Olympics.

Koum always denied any wrongdoing - but never denied accepting the money - and fell out spectacularly with Australian weightlifting officials.

After a flurry of legal manouvres, he served a 12 month suspension from the sport that ended at the start of the year but hasn't been re-registered with the Australian team.

He lifted in Glasgow, but for his former nation Cameroon, missing the medals and blaming Australian officials for his absence from the podium.

Ribouem was in the middle of a controversy of his own, but confined only to the sport. He was leading the men's 94kg division, but dropped to silver after Papua New Guinea's Steven Kari was green-lighted on what replays would later prove to be an illegal lift.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers
Opinion poll

What did you make of the Glasgow Games?

They were awesome. I couldn't get enough of them.

It was great to see NZ do well and I've enjoyed the coverage.

I caught bits and pieces but I'm glad they are over.

They were terrible. The standard of competition was poor and the end couldn't come soon enough.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content