ECB, Downton issue Kevin Pietersen apology

TOM HAYWARD
Last updated 13:11 31/05/2014
Kevin Pietersen
Reuters
FRUSTRATED: Kevin Pietersen believes he's being hard done by critics of his performance in the Ashes.

Relevant offers

Cricket

Unwanted Black Cap Todd Astle finds himself in familiar situation Jacob Duffy returns to Otago Volts after time away fixing his action Dilemma over South Africa's prized bowling asset as Kagiso Rabada set to return for pivotal third ODI in Wellington 'When you need to go...' Australia batsman Matt Renshaw defends decision to retire ill in India Renshaw, Starc help Australia bat through first day of opening test in India First female to join all male cricket team in 100 years meets her Black Caps idols at the Basin Reserve Selectors cross fingers as Tom Latham to continue grappling with Black Caps ODI wicketkeeper's poisoned chalice Record-breaker Ross Taylor deserves to be labelled one of the greats, says Black Caps coach Mike Hesson CD bowling stocks wearing thin as Plunket Shield resumes South Africa's Dwaine Pretorius aspires to become an international all-rounder

The England and Wales Cricket Board and their managing director Paul Downton have apologised to Kevin Pietersen regarding comments he made about the former England captain earlier this month, British media reported on Friday (local time).

Downton, who played an instrumental role in the decision to effectively end Pietersen's international career in February, said the controversial batsman had become "disinterested" during their 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia.

Downton also said Pietersen had lost the support of the senior players in the England dressing room during the November to January test series but the batsman responded by saying his allegations were "wholly untrue".

Pietersen also said: "I did, and continue to have a good relationship with most of the England players, which has been subsequently highlighted by a number of press interviews."

The ECB released a statement on Friday (local time) expressing their regret over Downton's comments.

"On May 22 during an interview on BBC Test Match Special, Paul Downton of the ECB made a series of comments about Kevin Pietersen with which Kevin takes issue including the comments he made regarding his perception of Kevin's attitude during the Sydney Test on last winter's Ashes tour," they said.

"Some of those comments were made in breach of a settlement agreement between the ECB and Kevin Pietersen which was concluded at the time Kevin's central contract was terminated earlier this year.

"Paul Downton and the ECB both apologise to Kevin Pietersen for those comments made that were in breach of the settlement agreement and have confirmed that they will abide by its terms moving forward."

Pietersen was a member of victorious Ashes teams in 2005, 2009, 2011 and 2013 and is regarded as one of England's greatest ever players having scored 8,181 runs in 104 test matches at an average of over 47.

England's catastrophic Ashes tour also led to coach Andy Flower leaving his position along with batting coach Graham Gooch, while spinner Graeme Swann retired mid-series.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content