Decision on Chris Cairns expected soon

Last updated 13:07 02/07/2014
Chris Cairns
Getty Images
ON THE OFFENSIVE: Chris Cairns has strongly denied any involvement in match-fixing.

Related Links

Ex-Black Cap Lou Vincent: I am a cheat Jimmy Neesham sets his sights on top order Black Caps can rejoice at overdue triumph Win over Windies one for history books

Relevant offers

Cricket

Brendon McCullum and the Black Caps look to build on recent success Expect more animosity between Australia and India on Boxing Day Indian captain MS Dhoni laughs off reports of teammate clash Ryan Harris back for Boxing Day test as Aussies relish Indians' whingeing Offspinner Mark Craig to play Boxing Day test despite green top pitch Thunder to feed on Jacques Kallis' experience Ross Taylor says talent is the key to New Zealand's test cricket rise Tom Latham's Boxing Day test morning diary Hagley Oval test is dream come true for Lee Germon Pakistan World Cup hopeful Yasir Shah inspired by Shane Warne

Britain's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will decide by September whether or not to prosecute former New Zealand allrounder Chris Cairns over match-fixing allegations, it was reported today.

Attention again shifts back to Cairns after former team-mate Lou Vincent received a life ban from the England and Wales Cricket Board yesterday and filmed a videotaped confession which began: ''My name is Lou Vincent and I am a cheat''.

In leaked testimony to anti-corruption investigators, Vincent alleged he worked for Cairns to fix matches in the now-defunct Indian Cricket League in 2008, and that Cairns tried to convince him to fix matches in England that same year.

This was backed by leaked testimony from Vincent's ex-wife, Elly Riley, which drew a sharp response from Cairns at Auckland Airport on May 30.

''The allegations he and his ex-wife make against me are despicable lies,'' said Cairns.

That was Cairns' most recent public statement, on his return from London where he completed his interview with Metropolitan Police and International Cricket Council anti-corruption investigators.

The Telegraph reported that files from a lengthy investigation by the Met have been handed to the CPS, which will decide by September whether or not to prosecute Cairns.

Cairns, 44, has consistently denied allegations that he was involved in cricket corruption, and won a libel suit against Lalit Modi, the former commissioner of the Indian Premier League, in 2012.

He was awarded damages of £90,000 (NZ$176,000) after Modi suggested, on Twitter, that Cairns had fixed outcomes within matches in the ICL.

The ECB's successful prosecution of Vincent and Pakistani Naved Arif has not made them more eager to pursue Cairns.

Instead, The Telegraph reported, it will wait for the CPS to make its move.

The enormous expense of initiating legal proceedings, which the ECB discovered with the recent Danish Kaneria and Mervyn Westfield case (a high six-figure sum), means that the ECB is wary of taking the lead unless guilt is obvious.

In that regard, Vincent's confession and subsequent guilty plea, including an approach to former England opener Mal Loye in 2008 for Lancashire's Twenty20 game against Durham, which Loye failed to report at the time but did when approached last year, saved them a lot of money.

Ad Feedback

Cairns refused to comment when approached by Stuff today.

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content