Fulton admits Black Caps days 'probably' over

MATT RICHENS
Last updated 05:00 18/07/2014
Peter Fulton
Getty
UNWANTED: Canterbury cricket captain Peter Fulton knew he hadn’t done enough to keep a national contract and expects his international cricket days are over.

Related Links

Peter Fulton's focus is on just batting, not runs Skipper says Black Caps could be great side Six new players earn Black Caps contracts Peter Fulton dropped for second Windies test Canterbury Cricket loses yet another batsman

Relevant offers

Cricket

White Ferns’ efforts in West Indies 'poor' Cricket World Cup return to NZ for Andy Moles Miracle Twenty20 victory for Perth Scorchers White Ferns lineup collapse in spectacular style Williamson, Devcich spark Knights to victory Afghanistan wants test cricket status by 2030 Swing duo Southee and Boult key for Knights McCullum's injunction to continue for now Medium pacer takes 15 wickets in a day McCullum in losing Chennai Super Kings effort

Peter Fulton saw his axing coming and does not expect to ever play cricket for New Zealand again.

He played what he believes is ''probably'' his last cricket test against the West Indies in Jamaica last month before being dropped for the last two tests then overlooked when the 20 national contracts were given out last week.

His fall from grace started before that though, with a lack of runs.

Fulton, 35, had failed to pass 13 in his previous 10 test innings and since scoring 136 and 110 against England in March last year, had passed 50 just three times in 18 times at the crease.

''I'm obviously disappointed not to get a contract, but I had plenty of opportunities,'' he said.

''I had plenty of opportunities and I didn't take them. That's what it comes down to.

''When I look back, I had those two tests against India and the first one against the West Indies. If I'd scored then, then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.''

Coach Mike Hesson told Fulton at the end of the Caribbean tour he was unlikely to receive a national contract.

He then received the official word from national selection manager Bruce Edgar.

Fulton said the conversation was a short one with little feedback.

''I didn't ask too much and he didn't say too much. They're not nice conversations and to be honest, once you get the news, you just want the conversation to end and I'm sure they're not phone calls those guys like making.''

Fulton expects the first test in the Caribbean and his 23th, would be his last.

''When you're closer to the end of your career than the start and you run out of chances, that's not a good thing. Reading between the lines, I think that's probably it for me, but you never say never.''

Fulton is not part of the New Zealand A tour, which includes Latham, Fulton's fellow-dumped opener Hamish Rutherford, and other possible partners for Latham, Michael Bracewell and Dean Brownlie.

Fulton hopes to continue leading Canterbury and has no immediate plans to retire.

That's probably a good thing for his Canterbury side, who have lost Brownlie (ND), Rob Nicol and Brad Cachopa (both Auckland), George Worker (CD) and Shanan Stewart (retired) and are unlikely to see much of Tom Latham because of national commitments after he cemented himself as the No 1 test opener.

Ad Feedback

''I'm a bit lucky, too,'' Fulton said, ''because playing for Canterbury has never been a chore for me, it's never felt like a step down from international cricket and I've always enjoyed it equally.''

He is expected to pick up the No 1 Canterbury contract when they are announced next Friday. 

- The Press

Special offers
Opinion poll

What do you make of the recent crackdown on chucking in cricket?

It's great news. Chucking is a blight on the game.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think officials are too harsh.

It's a bit late, isn't it? Remember Muralitharan?

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content