Ravindra Jadeja fined for fracas with Anderson

JOSH REICH
Last updated 23:00 25/07/2014
Ravindra Jadeja
Getty Images
HANDBAGS AT NOON: Ravindra Jadeja had a bit of a spat with James Anderson.

Relevant offers

Cricket

Nothing artifical about Buller's preparations for Hawke Cup Basin Reserve 'extremely close' to day one sellout for McCullum's 100th test Australian cricketers get up close and personal during national anthem John Hastings attacks Black Caps again over Mitchell Marsh dismissal Ashes loss fuelling Mitch Marsh's desire ahead of Black Caps Test Cricket trialling 10-over sin bin in bid to stamp out sledging and violence Steve Waugh refuses to bite after Shane Warne's 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here' slur South Africa chase down 319 to keep ODI series against England alive Sri Lanka beat India in first T20 thanks to debutant Kasun Rajitha double strike David Warner doesn't get it, misses joke and turns down Kiwi offer of a beer

India's Ravindra Jadeja has been fined half his match fee for his involvement in an altercation with England quick bowler James Anderson during the drawn first test at Trent Bridge.

The clash, which occurred as the players left the field at lunch on the second day, saw Jadeja charged with a level two misconduct charge for allegedly approaching Anderson in a threatening manner.

Anderson was charged with a level three offence for having "abused and pushed" his opponent.

Match referee David Boon found left-arm spinner Jadeja, who was batting at the time, not guilty of the offence for which he had been charged but felt his conduct was contrary to the spirit of the game.

"While I was in no doubt that confrontation did occur, and that such conduct was not in the spirit of the game and should not have taken place, I was not comfortably satisfied that this was a level 2 offence," Boon, the former Australia batsman, said in a statement on Friday (local time).

"Therefore, in exercising my discretion under Article 7.6.5 of the Code and having heard all the evidence, I was comfortably satisfied that Mr Jadeja had committed a level 1 offence under Article 2.1.8 of the Code."

Sanjay Patel, honorary secretary of The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), said in a statement that the governing body was not satisfied with the verdict and reserved the right to appeal.

"The BCCI believes that Mr Ravindra Jadeja was not at fault and supports him fully."

Anderson's hearing will be held on August 1, the day after the third test at Southampton is scheduled to finish, where he faces a possible four-test ban if he found guilty.

India lead the five-match series 1-0.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content