Bob Carter will sign for fourth Canterbury term

18:29, May 16 2011
Bob Carter
RE-SIGN: Bob Carter will remain as coach of the Canterbury cricket team for at least another two years.

Bob Carter looks poised to re-sign this week as the coach of the Canterbury Wizards cricket team for a fourth successive year.

With Canterbury storming home to win the Plunket Shield first-class competition last month and finishing second in the one-day championship and third in the T20 competition Carter's reappointment will come as little surprise.

"With three podium finishes, if you like, it was a pretty successful season," said Carter who was keen to continue his connection with the Wizards.

However, when the season started Carter was under pressure with his contract having been extended for only one year after an initial term of two seasons when he succeeded South African Dave Nosworthy who returned to the republic in 2008.

Canterbury struggled to shine in Carter's first two summers, being unable to capture any silverware but the team flourished under his guidance last season.

Carter said a debrief from the past season had already been held with players, coaches and the board of Canterbury cricket. Players had begun conditioning work in preparation for next season. "I'm now just waiting for Lee [Germon] to get back to me with an agreement and should sign that in due course."

Two major association coaching positions are still vacant with Wellington and Otago to finalise who will guide their teams next season. Australian Anthony Stuart was ditched by Wellington after five unsuccessful seasons while Mike Hesson stepped down from the southern side after six seasons at the helm where the Volts developed into a highly competitive outfit.

Stuart has since returned to Australia, where he will coach New South Wales.

Advertisement

The Press