Scorchers expect Warne to come out firing
The Perth Scorchers are on guard for a fired-up Shane Warne when they take on the Melbourne Stars in Wednesday night's Twenty20 clash at the WACA Ground.
They expect Warne to be desperate to atone for his horrible start to the Big Bash League season when he returned figures of 0-41 from just two overs in the Stars' eight-wicket loss to the Melbourne Renegades.
The 43-year-old legspin great hit the headlines in the lead up to that game when he teasingly suggested he hadn't completely ruled out a return to Test cricket in time for next year's Ashes.
But for now, Warne is keen to get his team's Big Bash campaign back on track, and Scorchers coach Justin Langer says his team should be wary.
"There's only one Shane Warne, isn't there? He has been a superstar of the game," Langer said.
"He's a very proud man. You don't see Shane Warne have too many bad games in a row. I'll be expecting him to be at his best on Wednesday night."
Scorchers spinner Brad Hogg said the nature of T20 cricket meant people shouldn't read too much into Warne's first-up flop.
"Every now and then, you are going to get met. It's just the nature of the game," Hogg said.
Hogg, who broke back into Australia's T20 squad for the World Cup earlier this year, returned figures of 1-33 off four overs in the Scorchers' first-up loss to the Adelaide Strikers.
And even though Hogg feels he's bowling well, he laughed at the prospect of either him or Warne making a Test return.
"I'm 41, Warney's 43. You might get through the first day. But if you had to come back a second day and bowl for a session and a half, that's where the older blokes would struggle," Hogg said.
"And if you're into the third Test match of the series as well - that's ridiculous."
The Stars welcome back allrounder Glenn Maxwell into their line-up, while Scorchers batsman Marcus North will replace the injured Shaun Marsh (hamstring).