Otago Volts may need 16 players against ND

LOGAN SAVORY
Last updated 05:00 30/01/2013

Relevant offers

Cricket

Neil Wagner and Essex teammates show sportsmanship in withdrawing run-out appeal Adam Milne, Mitchell McClenaghan, Corey Anderson earn call-ups to New Zealand squad for Champions Trophy Colin de Grandhomme takes three wickets in record IPL performance Man of the match effort from Mitchell McClenaghan sets up Mumbai win in IPL Brendon McCullum claims orange cap as Gujarat Lions knock over Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL Brendon McCullum's new bat named Coup Ray after $12,000 auction bid for naming rights Mitchell McClenaghan gets the 'Big Show' treatment in the IPL Australian cricketer James Pattinson pinged for excessive appealing in county cricket Tim Southee joins Brendon McCullum and Daniel Vettori at Middlesex for T20 Blast British and Irish Lions: Same coach and captain ... but a new cowboy

The Otago Volts find themselves in a bizarre situation where they could potentially use up to 16 players in one Plunket Shield game against Northern Districts in Queenstown starting tomorrow.

The Volts coach Vaughn Johnson said yesterday 12 of the 13-man squad named for the game against Wellington in their last outing had been retained.

The only player not included is James Fuller who was only signed to play in the HRV Cup but agreed to finish off with a four-day game last week.

But many of the 12 from the last game may not last the entire game in Queenstown so an extended squad of 16 had been named.

With Hamish Rutherford, Neil Broom and Ian Butler - who played against Wellington - named in a New Zealand XI to play two Twenty20 games against England in Whangarei on Monday and Wednesday, those players won't last the Volts game in Queenstown.

At some stage throughout the four-day game against Northern Districts those players will be pulled out to head to Whangarei and New Zealand Cricket rules allow them to be replaced during the game.

It is understood to have left the Volts decision-makers puzzled and struggling to get their head around the bizarre situation.

To cater for those players who won't play the entire game, Darren Broom, Sam Blakely, Neil Wagner and James McMillan have been added to the squad.

Sam Blakely is a new addition to the Volts mix with the 19-year-old impressing through the age-group ranks and is someone Otago cricket has an eye on for the future.

"He'll come up as cover for one of the bowling spots," Johnson said.

"He's a kid that's obviously been there or thereabouts, we're keen to introduce him to the system and if it allows he might get a crack when others go, we'll just see how we go in terms of who we need to play."

Southland's Jacob Duffy was rested for the game against Wellington last week but is almost certain to be handed the new ball in Queenstown.

Duffy had a fine HRV Cup campaign where he was the competition's equal leading wicket-taker with him and team-mate Nic Beard both taking 15 wickets.

The focus will be transforming his white ball success into the four-day competition.

Otago Volts: Derek de Boorder (c), Hamish Rutherford, Aaron Redmond, Michael Bracewell, Neil Broom, Sam Wells, Iain Robertson, Mark Craig, Ian Butler, Jacob Duffy, Nic Beard, Blair Soper, Neil Wagner, Darren Broom, Sam Blakely, James McMillan (five to be omitted).

Northern Districts: Brad Wilson (c), Brent Arnel, James Baker, Jono Boult, Daniel Flynn, Tony Goodin, James Marshall, Daryl Mitchell, Ish Sodhi, Anurag Verma, Adam Wheater, Joseph Yovich. 

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content