Cricket Australia (CA) chief James Sutherland says Australia will go to Hyderabad as planned for the second Test starting on March 2 despite twin bombings on Thursday night which killed at least 20 people in the Indian city.
Sutherland said the players had been fully briefed and had told team management their focus was on the first Test, due to start at 5pm (NZT) on Friday in Chennai, before the team heads to Hyderabad on Wednesday.
‘‘From the team’s point of view, our focus is wholly and solely on the field because we’ve got people off the field who are experts in what is going on (and) we’ll be advised by them,’’ Australian captain Michael Clarke said at the team’s hotel today before travelling to the ground amid high security.
‘‘Our thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Hyderabad who have been affected.’’
Sutherland said he’d had a brief conversation with an Indian board (BCCI) official overnight and he had full confidence in security arrangements that had been put in place.
‘‘You’ve heard from Michael Clarke that the focus around the team and team management is very much about the Test match here in Chennai,’’ Sutherland said.
‘‘Everyone’s very comfortable here in terms of the security arrangements and everything that has been put in place. Everything is spot on.
‘‘We’ll take advice from the relevant authorities and work with the BCCI and others here to make assessments around Hyderabad.
‘‘At this stage, I wouldn’t be calling into question things going ahead in Hyderabad as planned.’’
Sutherland said CA had held nothing back from the players.
‘‘We work together with the players and the players’ association with these sorts of issues a lot so there’s a high level of confidence that management will work through that,’’ he said.
‘‘From there, we’ll make assessments and keep talking to them so they know where our thoughts are and what plans are developing.
‘‘I am not going anywhere with hypothetical questions. As far as I’m concerned, we’re playing the second Test match in Hyderabad next week and that’s where we’re at.
‘‘Let’s not go into the place of the players saying they don’t want to go. What the players have said to us is that all they’re interested in right now is this Test match here in Chennai and they’ll leave other matters to management to work through with the relevant authorities.’’
- Sydney Morning Herald
Should the NZ selectors pick Jesse Ryder if he's available?