Australia to play on in bomb hit Hyderabad

Last updated 16:50 22/02/2013

Carnage after bombings Hyderabad

Hyderabad bombing
BOMB BLAST: Police and members of the public examine the scene of a bombing in Hyderabad that has cast doubt over whether the test scheduled there between Australia and India should go ahead.

Relevant offers


Phillip Hughes tribute brings floodlit pink ball test sharply into focus WWE wishes the Black Caps good luck ahead of third Test Rapid evolution of test cricket stopping at New Zealand Cricket's back doorstep Wellington Firebirds face crucial clash against Auckland Aces in T20 Super Smash Black Caps v Australia scorecard - third test, day one Pink ball test another in a series of firsts between Australia and New Zealand Canterbury Kings want to continue winning feeling in Twenty20 England cricket to trial no compulsory coin toss in county championship Australia v New Zealand: Five talking points ahead of the 'pink ball' day-night cricket test England go one-up in Pakistan T20 series with 14-run win in Dubai

Cricket Australia (CA) chief James Sutherland says Australia will go to Hyderabad as planned for the  second Test starting on March 2 despite twin bombings on Thursday night which killed at least 20 people in the Indian city.

Sutherland said the players had been fully briefed and had told team management their focus was on the first Test, due to start at 5pm (NZT) on Friday in Chennai, before the team heads to Hyderabad on Wednesday.

‘‘From the team’s point of view, our focus is wholly and solely on the field because we’ve got people off the field who are experts in what is going on (and) we’ll be advised by them,’’ Australian captain Michael Clarke said at the team’s hotel today before travelling to the ground amid high security.

‘‘Our thoughts and prayers are with all the people of Hyderabad who have been affected.’’

Sutherland said he’d had a brief conversation with an Indian board (BCCI) official overnight and he had full confidence in security arrangements that had been put in place.

‘‘You’ve heard from Michael Clarke that the focus around the team and team management is very much about the Test match here in Chennai,’’ Sutherland said.

‘‘Everyone’s very comfortable here in terms of the security arrangements and everything that has been put in place. Everything is spot on.

‘‘We’ll take advice from the relevant authorities and work with the BCCI and others here to make assessments around Hyderabad.

‘‘At this stage, I wouldn’t be calling into question things going ahead in Hyderabad as planned.’’

Sutherland said CA had held nothing back from the players.

‘‘We work together with the players and the players’ association with these sorts of issues a lot so there’s a high level of confidence that management will work through that,’’ he said.

‘‘From there, we’ll make assessments and keep talking to them so they know where our thoughts are and what plans are developing.

‘‘I am not going anywhere with hypothetical questions. As far as I’m concerned, we’re playing the second Test match in Hyderabad next week and that’s where we’re at.

Ad Feedback

‘‘Let’s not go into the place of the players saying they don’t  want to go. What the players have said to us is that all they’re interested in right now is this Test match here in Chennai and they’ll leave other matters to management to work through with the  relevant authorities.’’

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content