Trent Boult's tour likely over, Butler reprieve
New Zealand paceman Trent Boult’s tour of England is almost certainly over, with Ian Butler likely to get a reprieve for the ODI series and Champions Trophy.
Boult will go for an MRI scan in London tomorrow after aggravating a side strain when bowling during the second test.
He only sent down two overs in the second innings and whilst he batted in New Zealand’s futile attempt to save the test today, captain Brendon McCullum wasn’t confident of an encouraging medical report for the left-armer.
“He's not looking great. It’s a big blow for him and he’s still not moving that freely which is disappointing because he's been a revelation for us this season,” McCullum said.
“When we play England with Alastair [Cook] at the top, without Trent, it's going to be harder to get a dismissal.”
Heading into the second test, Boult had removed Cook in four of their previous six jousts in test cricket. He ended the two-test series with eight wickets at an average of 20.38.
Boult was previously named in the squad for the three-match ODI series, starting at Lord’s on Friday, and the Champions Trophy. With his name likely to be scratched after the medical assessment, Butler is on standby.
The Otago all-rounder was unlucky not to be called in for the injured Andrew Ellis, a spot that went to Doug Bracewell. Butler is in England playing club cricket so is a ready-made replacement, and performed well against England in the Twenty20 international in Hamilton in February.
New Zealand travel to London later tonight where the test players will bid farewell and the ODI specialists will join in after their training camp in Northampton. They are Grant Elliott, James Franklin, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Colin Munro, Luke Ronchi and Daniel Vettori.
McCullum confirmed Ronchi would open the batting in the ODIs and said they were still to have a discussion about whether he or Ronchi would keep wicket.