West Indies call up NZ bamboozler Sunil Narine

Last updated 05:00 28/11/2013

Relevant offers


Joe Mennie a shock callup to Australia's test side to face South Africa Head knock forces Canterbury coach Gary Stead to make one change for second round Plunket Shield match Wellington remain unchanged for Plunket Shield second round against Northern Black Caps' Indian tests 'disappointing', but Stephen Fleming says not to panic Black Caps pumped for shot at history in India, says veteran batsman Ross Taylor Thirty-six hours on a train to meet the Black Caps: local fan rewarded for dedication Northern Districts coach James Pamment not fazed by Joe Carter's batting struggles Brendon McCullum called Prime Minister by Indian announcer during John Key visit Hey Channel Nine commentators, less of the in-jokes and more about the cricket Michael Clarke led toxic Aussie cricket culture, Mitchell Johnson says

Sunil Narine the West Indian spinner who has bamboozled the New Zealand cricket side in tests and ODIs, is being brought into the tourists' test squad.

Narine has played just five tests - two against New Zealand - but 12 of his 15 test wickets are against the Black Caps and he will join the West Indies test squad as cover for the under-fire Shane Shillingford.

Shillingford and Marlon Samuels will today head to Perth for independent testing after both were reported for suspected illegal bowling actions during the second test against India earlier this month. According to an ICC release the main concerns were Samuels' quicker deliveries and Shillingford's doosras.

The pair will both be eligible to play in the first test, starting in Dunedin on Tuesday as they are cleared to play until the independent testing results have been submitted to the ICC.

The independent authority has 14 days from the testing to submit their findings and should either of the pair be found to be in breach of the ICC's 15 degree bent arm limit, they would be suspended immediately.

Both bowlers have previously been reported and suspended from bowling after their actions were found to be illegal. They were, however, allowed to resume bowling after they underwent remedial work and further testing.

Samuels was reported in February 2008 and resumed bowling in international cricket in September 2011, while Shillingford was reported in November 2010 and resumed bowling in June 2011.

Shillingford is expected to rejoin the West Indies squad at the weekend and it is understood the tourists expect him to be cleared. 

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should bouncers be banned from cricket?

Yes - they're too dangerous

Neutral - it is what it is

No - it's just bad luck when it goes wrong

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content