Brett Lee straight bats Piers Morgan controversy

Last updated 16:35 30/12/2013

Relevant offers

Cricket

Batsman Shaun Marsh to undergo elbow surgery Jeetan Patel enjoying his county stint in England Ishant Sharma inspires Indian second test win England gloveman Matt Prior to take a break Ish Sodhi could have cricket fans in a spin Jesse Ryder 'goes pongo' with the bat England face uphill battle to save Lord's test Dale Steyn inspired by Allan Donald in Galle South Africa claim first test win in Sri Lanka in 14 years Cricket World Cup boss sees capital tourism spinoffs

Former test tearaway Brett Lee has ducked a response to critics following his controversial over to British media host Piers Morgan during the tea break on day two of the fourth Ashes test at the MCG.

Last week, Lee laid down the challenge on Twitter after Morgan questioned the courage of England's batsmen in the face of an onslaught from Mitchell Johnson.

Public opinion has been split on the incident, in which Morgan was bowled on his fifth delivery and failed to get bat on ball to any of the six deliveries.

Morgan took several blows to the body in the over, and later tweeted an image of the subsequent bruising.

After the stunt, Morgan showed he had no regrets, tweeting: "Well I thought that went well... @BrettLee-58."

After his Big Bash League side Sydney Sixers lost to the Melbourne Stars at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday night, Lee was happy to talk to reporters.

However, when asked if he wished to respond to any of the concerns about the Morgan over, and specifically Sir Richard Hadlee's negative comments, Lee smiled and said: "Nup".

Lee's manager Neil Maxwell said on Monday that if Lee had bowled half-heartedly at Morgan, who wanted the paceman to go full tilt, it would have been a farce.

"I think it was all good fun and great television." Maxwell said.

Hadlee, the former New Zealand great, disagreed. He launched a written assault on Lee that was perhaps as nasty as Lee's over, describing the incident as "a brain explosion of the highest order" which left him "appalled and outraged".

"It was a deliberate attempt to hit, injure, hurt and maim his opponent that I viewed as a form of grievous bodily harm or a human assault that could have proved fatal," Hadlee wrote.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers
Opinion poll

Was a life ban from cricket a fair punishment for Lou Vincent?

Yes, he's admitted to match-fixing and deserves his punishment

It doesn't go far enough in my opinion

No, it's only going to deter whistle blowers in the future

It's too harsh. A two-year ban would have been fair

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content