All Whites-South Africa friendly looks like farce

SAM WORTHINGTON
Last updated 23:12 20/05/2014

Relevant offers

Football

Stop Out sit atop Central League alone, until Western Suburbs arrive the next day Chris Wood's English Premier League dream all but over for another after Leeds draw OFC Champions League final a contest between two teams with contrasting styles Sydney FC thrash Perth Glory to clinch home A-League grand final Recap: Sydney FC v Perth Glory - A-League semifinals President Gianni Infantino in spotlight as new ethics crisis hits Fifa and IOC Can Auckland City march on in Oceania or will Team Wellington finally prevail? FIFA official pleads guilty to corruption charges Team Wellington captain Bill Robertson hoping third time's the charm in OFC Champions League final Japanese trio helping Southland United football team in Southern Premier League

The All Whites' May 30 friendly against South Africa is descending into a farce, with 'Bafana Bafana' set to field a B team in Auckland.

South Africa coach Gordon Igesund tonight announced that 11 players had pulled out of his original 18-man squad to tour Australia and New Zealand, "due to injuries, and other reasons."

"Some clubs were not willing to release certain players as well," Igesund told reporters at a press conference at Johannesburg's Oliver Tambo Airport.

"I mean we only found out about some of them on Monday night."

Igesund said there was a possibility of further withdrawals.

"Our team doctor is also going to assess [Oupa] Manyisa and [Thabo] Matlaba after this conference. We will then know if they will be able to play or not."

South Africa play Australia in Sydney on Monday before tackling the All Whites four days later.

The friendly games fall outside of Fifa's international window, meaning players are not obligated to make themselves available.

England-based All Whites' stars Winston Reid, Tommy Smith and Chris Wood have made themselves unavailable, while South Africa's captain Itumeleng Khune, Crystal Palace midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi and star striker Bernard Parker are among those scratched from the trip.

Speaking before Igesund's press conference, NZ Football high performance director Fred de Jong said he was expecting a near full-strength visiting squad.

''As it stands there's been no requests for changes to airline tickets, hotel bookings or anything like that," de Jong said.

"So as it stands the expectation is the team will be the squad that we've been sent previously.''

De Jong was hopeful that Kiwi football fans would turn out to Mt Smart Stadium regardless of the strength of South Africa's team.

South Africa are ranked No 65 in the world, with the All Whites 111.

''People probably wouldn't know a lot of the South African players anyway," de Jong said.

"It's not like you've got these massive names coming out of Europe or whatever that are suddenly pulling the pin. I would hope that people see it as an opportunity to support New Zealand. The likes of Ryan Thomas, Marco Rojas, they're the ones that are going to take us forward. It's a good chance to see them on home soil. They're a good opposition, South Africa, regardless of who they bring.''

Both NZ and South Africa failed to qualify for this year's World Cup in Brazil.

But Football Federation Australia are unlikely to be as diplomatic as their NZ counterparts.

Monday's game at a half sold-out ANZ Stadium is a crucial hit-out for the World Cup-bound Socceroos, who have been drawn in a group of death including Spain, the Netherlands and Chile.

Ad Feedback

All Whites players are also unlikely to be thrilled with the news, given they have given up their holidays to play in the match.

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content