Former Sydney FC coach Frank Farina will apply for the vacant All Whites job.
Applications close on Friday and Farina joins interim All Whites coach Neil Emblen, Auckland City coach Ramon Tribulietx and Papua New Guinea coach Wynton Rufer in declaring his interest.
Farina was sacked by Sydney last month despite piloting the Sky Blues to the A-League finals.
The former Socceroos striker has also coached Australia (1998-2005), Brisbane Roar (2006-09) and PNG (2011-13).
"I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring," the 49-year-old said last night.
"I have a lot of friends in New Zealand, that I played with and against. New Zealand have a very good squad. When I look at players in the A-League or overseas, they've got a fantastic group of young players coming through, but also existing players.
"That's what a lot of people will be looking at in terms of job appeal. There's a lot of New Zealand ex-players that have a major passion for the game and could probably be utilised as well," he said.
NZ Football have received almost 100 applications for the job, which was vacated by Ricki Herbert in November.
However, Football Federation Australia advanced coaching manager Sean Douglas, former All Whites captain Danny Hay and former NZ Olympic coach Stu Jacobs all ruled themselves out of the race yesterday.
Farina said his experience coaching Australia before they moved into the Asian confederation would stand him in good stead if he got the job.
"Playing in Oceania is not as easy as everyone thinks in terms of your preparation and your planning because games are few and far between. I spent six years planning and preparing for World Cup campaigns and it's so hard because it basically comes down to two games every four years."
NZF chief executive Andy Martin said he had started to sort the applicants into the "possibles, probables and no chances".
Martin also met with All Whites players on Monday to discuss the findings of the independent review of the failed World Cup campaign.
"A lot of the findings that we discussed are things that you'd expect as a minimum standard at the elite level of sport. They're things that I'm used to, where I've come from [London Irish rugby club], and a lot of the things we've got to put in place have already started. We talked about more player involvement in decision making. The whole theme was about not just qualifying but winning games at the next World Cup."
Despite not qualifying for Brazil, NZF will still get a financial boost from this year's World Cup.
The TAB gave more than $500,000 to NZF following the 2010 World Cup, its cut of the $26 million spent by Kiwi punters on the tournament. They will do the same this year.
"We're delighted," Martin said.
"It's one of a number of contributors to ensure we have a properly funded programme for the next four years."
Meanwhile, Martin said reports that AC Milan had expressed strong interest in playing the All Whites in NZ next year were news to him.
"We don't know anything about it."
- The Dominion Post
Will Burnley retain their EPL status?