Organisers dismiss World Cup 'sinkhole' fears

Last updated 07:14 23/06/2014
Gianluigi Buffon
Getty
ALL GOOD: World Cup officials have downplayed concerns Italy's clash with Uruguay on Wednesday won't go ahead because of 'sinkhole' fears.

Relevant offers

Football

Gianni Infantino urges Uefa leaders to share Fifa funds worldwide Kidnap threats force young Messi fan Murtaza Ahmadi to flee Afghanistan Tottenham's Moussa Dembele faces citing for 'eye gouge' on Chelsea's Diego Costa FIFA extend anti-doping ban of Liverpool's Sakho to worldwide Ultimate 60th birthday present for Kiwi Leicester City supporter Thai fans credit good karma for Leicester City's stunning EPL victory Jamie Vardy taunts Tottenham's Harry Kane after Leicester win the Premier League Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink knocked over as tempers flare in EPL decider All Whites goalkeeper Jake Gleeson makes timely return for Portland Timbers Is Leicester City's 5000:1 upset the greatest sporting shock ever?

Local organisers have dismissed concerns that last week's landslide in Natal might cause the postponement of Wednesday's World Cup Group D match between Italy and Uruguay.

Italian media reports said there were concerns that a ''sinkhole'' near the stadium might cause the match to be called off.

A landslide caused by heavy rain destroyed some 70 houses and made more than 150 people homeless last weekend.

The affected area was more than four kilometres from the Dunas arena and Reuters witnesses who were at the site last week and again over the weekend said little had changed.

Two World Cup matches have taken place at the Dunas arena since the landslide and local organisers said today that the Italy-Uruguay Group D fixture would go ahead.

''The match is confirmed,'' they said by e-mail.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content