Luis Suarez 'depressed' after biting suspension

TIM HANLON
Last updated 01:46 20/08/2014
Luis Suarez
Getty Images
BACK TO FOOTBALL: Luis Suarez acknowledges fans during his presentation as a new Barcelona player at the Nou Camp.

Relevant offers

Football

Nathan Burns' departure inevitable but will aid recruitment, says coach Ernie Merrick Chelsea sign Radamel Falcao on one-year loan from Monaco UEFA eases restrictions on Manchester City, PSG Fifa referee instructor Bennett a guru of the game New Zealand beat Solomon Islands 2-0 in first hit out at Pacific Games in PNG Max Crocombe: PNG heat no excuse as Oly Whites push to Rio Referees pulled from Nelson division one football following abuse on social media United States steps up heat on Fifa as it moves to extradite seven officials England's worst World Cup moments Japan into women's World Cup final after England's injury-time own goal heartache

Controversial striker Luis Suarez said he was "very depressed" after the World Cup biting incident that led to the Uruguay international being initially banned from all football activities for four months.

Suarez can now train with new club Barcelona and play friendlies, following an appeal hearing last week, before making his competitive return at the end of October.

"I prefer not to look backwards," the former Liverpool forward said.

"I didn't want to do anything and I was very depressed," added Suarez referring to his state of mind following the biting incident involving Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil.

"I decided that all I could do was accept reality and say sorry. I have apologised to people in Uruguay for what happened and I am now looking ahead."

The Uruguayan featured for the first time for Barca when he came on for the last 15 minutes of Monday's 6-0 friendly victory over Mexican side Leon.

Suarez, who was also banned for seven matches in 2010 after biting a PSV Eindhoven player while representing Ajax Amsterdam, has talked to specialists about his behaviour and promised no repeat offences.

"I say to fans, don't worry, because I won't do that any more," he vowed.

"I spoke to my psychologist and he said I had to face it and say sorry."

CLASICO START

Suarez is set to play his first La Liga game in the 'Clasico' against Real Madrid the weekend of October 25-26.

During Tuesday's presentation, vice-president Jordi Mestre disclosed that the transfer fee Barca had agreed with Liverpool was £65 million (NZ$128 million).

"I hope the time goes quickly as I want to play again," said Suarez.

"It is going to be difficult as I will have to wait some months but I have accepted this.

"My job is to train and be ready to return by the end of October. All I can do is prepare and be ready for the game against Real.

"It would be great to play but it is down to the coach," added Suarez.

"I have really found a great atmosphere in the dressing room...everyone has been very friendly and obviously the time passes quicker if you are with team mates and new people."

Brazil forward Neymar and former World Player of the Year Lionel Messi were involved in Monday's match.

"Neymar and Messi were fantastic to watch," said Suarez.

"Everyone knows what I can offer and I will work hard to bring trophies back to Barca which is the reason I am here."

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content