Valencia sack coach Sanchez Flores
Valencia have sacked coach Quique Sanchez Flores following the side's 3-0 defeat at Sevilla.
The Primera Liga side said that reserve team boss Oscar Fernandez would take charge of the team on a caretaker basis.
Last week Valencia slipped to a surprise 2-0 defeat away to Rosenborg in the Champions League and are in third place in Group B, four points behind leaders Chelsea.
Despite Sunday's loss to Sevilla, Valencia are fourth in the Primera Liga, four points adrift of leaders Real Madrid.
"It wasn't an easy decision that was taken just because of one bad result," club president Juan Soler told a news conference on Monday.
"It was a carefully thought-out decision taken after an intensive analysis by the technical staff so that we can achieve our aim of becoming one of the top teams in Europe."
Sanchez Flores is the third coach to have been sacked by the club since Soler took over as president three years ago with predecessors Antonio Lopez and Claudio Ranieri also failing to meet his expectations.
Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi and Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari are all reported to be in the frame for the permanent post.
Reuters