The Wellington Phoenix have fined star trio Manny Muscat, Ben Sigmund and Andrew Durante for their "unacceptable" roles in Saturday's pre-season melee, while Football Federation Australia's independent match review panel will sit this morning to determine whether further punishment is warranted.
FFA officials yesterday pored over video footage of the Phoenix's game against the Newcastle Jets in Weston, in which Muscat, Sigmund and club captain Durante, as well as Jets defender Tiago Calvano, were all sent off in ugly scenes.
An FFA spokesman last night said there would be no further comment until after the panel met today.
Phoenix general manager David Dome yesterday said the club was taking the incidents very seriously and the three players had been fined an undisclosed amount.
Depending on the FFA's sanctions, the Phoenix may also stand down the trio from some games on the pre-season tour of India, which kicks off on Friday.
"Notwithstanding the play that led to the incidents, the club in no way condones any kind of retribution or fighting in a match," Dome said.
"It is totally unacceptable and we have taken action immediately following the match.”
Dome said Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert had taken a strong line with the players.
"The day after the match Herbert addressed the entire squad and expressed his displeasure," Dome said.
"He was unequivocal that incidents of this type will not be accepted by any player regardless of their seniority in the team."
Melbourne Victory coach Ange Postecoglou weighed in yesterday, saying he was baffled by tempers flaring in pre-season.
"It doesn't reflect well, that's for sure," Postecoglou said.
"I saw some vision of it and I don't really understand it. I think players and coaches and everyone involved should probably understand this is pre-season.
"I'd be disappointed if it was my team doing that. I think discipline's part of getting your team ready."
- © Fairfax NZ News