Hillsborough disaster could be re-investigated

Last updated 10:37 11/12/2012
Hillsborough disaster
REUTERS
MEMORIAL: A man looks at flowers laid at a memorial to 96 fans killed at the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, at the Anfield soccer stadium in Liverpool, northern England

Relevant offers

Football

All Whites striker Chris Wood scores stunning winner for Leeds United at Derby Wellington Phoenix held to 3-3 draw by Capital Football XI Wellington Phoenix captain Andrew Durante pulls pin on brief All Whites career James Rodriguez, Gareth Bale lift Real Madrid, Barcelona earn narrow win John Stones is potential England captain, says Everton boss after Tottenham draw Manchester City maintain perfect start, Chelsea slump at home Arsenal struggle to 1-0 victory over 10-man Newcastle United Can Memphis Depay live up to the Manchester United No 7 jersey Michel Platini avoids Fifa talk, says in last term as UEFA chief Neymar may make Barcelona return against Malaga - coach

The deaths of 96 Liverpool fans in Britain's worst sporting disaster could be reinvestigated after the country's chief prosecutor launched a formal application to quash their inquests' verdicts.

The fans died in a crush in an enclosed, overcrowded terrace at the stadium in Sheffield on April 15, 1989 during an FA Cup semifinal against Nottingham Forest.

Attorney General Dominic Grieve applied to the High Court to overturn the "accidental death" verdicts reached at the original inquests into the Hillsborough stadium tragedy.

An independent inquiry concluded in September that police tried to deflect the blame onto fans to cover up their own incompetence and suggested that 41 lives could have been saved if the emergency response had been quicker.

"The principal ground for the application is the new medical evidence. The alteration to police and emergency services evidence is a supporting factor as is stadium safety," the attorney general's office said in a statement.

The families of the victims have campaigned for more than 20 years to overturn official accounts that smeared fans, blaming them for being drunk, ticketless and intent on forcing their way into the packed ground.

The court will set a date for the hearing in due course, the statement said.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content