Harry Kewell criticised for golfing while injured

Last updated 16:09 06/11/2013

Relevant offers

Football

Western Sydney Wanderers draw with late Santalab strike against Melbourne Victory Brisbane Roar destroy lacklustre Central Coast Mariners in A-League Hawke's Bay United down Wellington Phoenix Reserves in scrappy ASB Premiership clash Liverpool fans plan walkout protest over rising ticket prices Adelaide United draw 2-2 with Sydney FC in A-League Andrew Durante and Michael McGlinchey working hard to fix A-League's Phoenix All Whites coach Anthony Hudson 'not satisfied', but still upbeat for Oceania Nations Cup Canterbury United determined to cement ASB Premiership finals berth Sydney mayor backs bid to save the Wellington Phoenix Wellington Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick working hard to unearth a mean streak

Harry Kewell has defended his decision to play golf while ruled unfit for selection for Melbourne Heart.

The veteran forward has been laid low since injuring his neck in the round-one A-League match with Melbourne Victory.

After being ruled out of last weekend's 3-0 away loss to the Brisbane Roar, Kewell played golf and hit back at suggestions it was improper.

"I felt I was fully fit, I wanted to play, it was a decision by my manager which I respected," he said.

"OK, I went out and swung a club. What's the harm in that?"

Kewell's round of golf prompted Heart chief executive Scott Munn to make a media appearance, saying Kewell was entitled to play as he had resumed full training.

But when asked about the injury, the 35-year-old Kewell was cagey.

"There's been a few things that have come up and we've just dealt with them as private matters; they're all under control now.

"We just had to take things steady."

Kewell has previously played several pro-am events and spoken of his love for the game.

The veteran of 60 internationals knows the only way of fulfilling his dream of playing in a third World Cup is by looking no further than his Melbourne Heart commitments.

Declaring himself 100 per cent fit for Friday night's match with Western Sydney Wanderers, Kewell said a Socceroos recall under new coach Ange Postecoglou would only come after good club performances.

"The decision is down to the coach. My only thing I have to worry about is playing well for Melbourne Heart," he said.

"If I do that, I believe I've got a chance like everyone else.

"... Everyone's going on about playing for Australia. You've got to play well for your club to have a chance."

Kewell's most recent match for the Socceroos was in February last year.

He likened the struggling Melbourne side to his weekend opponents as they seek to make a greater impression on the A-League.

He called the Wanderers "a fantastic story" which he hoped to emulate in Melbourne.

"They've got everything going for them at the moment. They've got the momentum; hopefully they can forget that on Friday and we can start our season.

"This club's thriving and is on the brink of doing something special and I want to be part of that."

The Socceroos play Costa Rica in Sydney on November 19.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content