Reports: Sponsor threatens over 'quenelle'

MIKE COLLETT
Last updated 04:15 19/01/2014

Relevant offers

Football

Tottenham striker Harry Kane to start for England against Italy, says Roy Hodgson A-League prepares for thrilling finish as five clubs jostle for top billing Ex-Liverpool and England footballer John Barnes: I can't get a job because I'm black Teenager Clayton Lewis poised to make All Whites debut against South Korea in Seoul All Whites star Winston Reid says 2010 World Cup 'changed my life' Sydney FC's Shane Smeltz cops three-match ban after lashing out at Ben Sigmund France recover from Brazil defeat with 2-0 home win over Denmark in friendly Germany and Portugal get back on track in 2016 European Championship qualifying Ireland substitue Shane Long denies Poland victory with injury-time leveller Football Ferns braced for cauldron as massive crowd looms for US game

Shirt sponsor Zoopla has warned West Bromwich Albion it will cancel a three million pounds (NZ$5.96 million) deal with the club if Nicolas Anelka plays against Everton in the Premier League on Tuesday (NZ time), British media reported.

Zoopla, a property website company co-owned by Jewish businessman Alex Chesterman, is unhappy the former France striker has been playing despite making an alleged anti-Semitic 'quenelle' gesture in the game with West Ham United three weeks ago.

Several media reports said that the sponsor has demanded he is dropped against Everton or else they will immediately cancel their deal.

Anelka is being investigated by the Football Association (FA) for making the gesture after scoring the first of his two goals in a 3-3 draw at West Ham in the league on December 28.

The quenelle, invented by French comedian Dieudonne, has drawn widespread condemnation in Anelka's homeland and from anti-racist and Jewish groups in England who have demanded the player be banned.

Anelka, 34, has played in every league game since making the alleged gesture. He promised no repeat but did not apologise for his actions.

Zoopla has made no public comment on the issue but Marketing Week magazine quoted company sources over the Albion ultimatum.

A spokesman for the club said: "West Bromwich Albion will be making no further comment until the Football Association has concluded its investigation and the club its own internal inquiry into the matter."

Last week the Jewish Chronicle newspaper accused the FA and West Brom of failing to deal with the matter quickly enough while Kick It Out anti-racism campaigners said they were "very frustrated" with the time taken to reach a conclusion.

Spaniard Pepe Mel, new coach of 14th-placed West Brom, will be in charge for the first time on Tuesday.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Burnley retain their EPL status?

Yes, they've found a winning formula

Maybe, but there’s a long way to go

No. They lack quality in certain areas

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content