A quick-thinking Swedish golfer has told how she used a tee to extract venom from her leg after being bitten by a dangerous spider during a qualifying tournament in Australia.
The Swedish Golf Federation reported on their website how 24-year-old Daniela Holmqvist saw a redback spider on her lower leg and then felt a sharp pain above her left ankle.
An official for Golf Australia confirmed the incident was reported during the pre-qualifying tournament at the Federal Golf Club in Canberra's inner south on Tuesday morning.
Seeing her leg swell up, Holmqvist did not seek medical attention but instead grabbed a golf tee from her bag, pierced her skin and squeezed out as much venom as possible.
"A clear fluid came out," she said. "It wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever done but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible."
The Swedish federation added that, after the incident took place at the fourth hole, an unfazed Holmqvist went on to finish her round with officials monitoring her progress.
She finished the qualifying event for the ISPS Handa Australian Open in Canberra with a round of 74, just two shots shy of qualification.
Golf Australia Championships manager Therese Magdulski was at the tournament on the day, and was surprised at hearing reports of the bite over the radio.
"On the day it was very unusual, and I must admit when I heard she was bitten by a redback I thought 'oh my goodness'," Ms Magdulski said.
But, after seeking professional advice and speaking with Holmqvist, tournament officials said the only treatment required was an ice pack. A rules official also followed Homqvist for about two holes to ensure she was healthy enough to continue the round.
"She didn't ask for anything else from us," Ms Magdulski said.
"She certainly wasn't in any discomfort on the day."
- Canberra Times
World No 1 Rory McIlroy is in hot form, but how many majors do you expect him to win?Related story: (See story)