Warrior prop Lillyman in line for Queensland

AARON GOILE
Last updated 05:00 19/05/2014

Relevant offers

League

Weight of expectation no longer burdens Benji Marshall Worry over Warriors boss' U-turn on second NZ side Wellington NRL bid stands firm, says consortium Shaun Johnson wins Golden Boot as league's best player Wellington unlikely to get new NRL club, says New Zealand Warriors chief Jim Doyle Warriors return to Wellington to face Dragons in 2015 Queensland look to bring in more new blood for State of Origin Panthers coach Ivan Cleary fears the worst from Auckland Nines Steve 'Beaver' Menzies backs Big Willie Mason to lead Manly Melbourne Storm to experiment without captain Cameron Smith

A return to State of Origin could be confirmed for Warriors prop Jacob Lillyman tonight when Queensland announce their squad for game one.

The 30-year-old has six matches to his name, having debuted in 2006 and playing the last of those in 2011.

Last year it was a sweet and sour feeling for the man known as 'The Bull', when he was called up as 18th man for games two and three, but not required for match days.

"Yeah, that was. I think I'd much rather be playing than 18th man," Lillyman said after last night's NRL loss to the Bulldogs in Hamilton.

"Hopefully, if my form warrants it, then great, but it's out of my control and we'll just see what happens."

Lillyman is averaging a fine 140 metres a game this season, and yesterday made the most out of any Warriors player (162), while he also made 33 tackles.

Incumbents Matt Scott and Nate Myles will more than likely be Queensland's starting props. David Shillington was cast aside after game one last year and in came Josh Papalii, but both of those players are in an out of sorts Raiders team, while Ben Hannant (2008-12) has recently been out of favour at the Broncos.

"I haven't been watching too many of the other props," Lillyman said.

"But they've had guys there in the past that do the job, and they're pretty loyal the Maroons selectors."

Sam Thaiday's calf injury is set to rule him out of game one - at Suncorp Stadium on May 28 - and Aidan Guerra is a name that has emerged as a replacement. The selectors may also opt to retain fellow back-rowers Chris McQueen and Ben Te'o, but Lillyman would give them more punch.

"Obviously it'd be a great honour if [my] name was to get read out," Lillyman said. "But it's out of my control and I've just been trying to look after things at club level. If there's rewards off the back of that, then great, but we'll just see what happens."

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content