NSW end an eight-year Origin drought

13:35, Jun 19 2014
Aaron Woods
Aaron Woods dives onto the pile of celebrating NSW players after Trent Hodkinson's try.
Brent Tate
Brent Tate is helped off the field after injuring his right knee in an awkward tackle.
Trent Hodkinson
Trent Hodkinson (centre) celebrates with Josh Reynolds (right) and Will Hopoate after his 71st minute try that proved the difference.
Ryan Hoffman
Ryan Hoffman drags two Queensland defenders with him.
Brent Tate
Queensland wing Brent Tate jumps to offload in the tackle early in the match.
NSW fans
The 83,421 that witnessed State of Origin II at ANZ Stadium was predominantly a shade of blue.
Sam Thaiday
Sam Thaiday celebrates a try as NSW players appeal for a knock-on. The try was disallowed after review.
Jarryd Hayne
Jarryd Hayne appeals to referee Ben Cummins for a favourable ruling.
Aidan Guerra and Beau Scott
Queensland's Aidan Guerra and NSW's Beau Scott size each other up.
ANZ Stadium
The scene of NSW's first State of Origin series victory since 2005, ANZ Stadium.
Josh Reynolds
Josh Reynolds leaps into the stands to celebrate NSW's series win with fans.
Josh Reynolds
Josh Reynolds jumps into the arms of Luke Lewis at the final whistle.

The end.

Never have two words been so fitting to describe the dawn of a new era, but the end is what it was on Wednesday night.

It was the end of a reign of supremacy rugby league may never again witness. It was the end of NSW's misery.

Aaron Woods
DROUGHT OVER: Aaron Woods dives onto the pile of celebrating NSW players after Trent Hodkinson's match-winning try in game two.

It was also the end of NSW's search for a No 7, with Trent Hodkinson answering the calls for a saviour, scoring the series winning try and goal to send ANZ Stadium into raptures following a memorable 6-4 win. 

He ran once in game one. And for 71 minutes in game two, he'd again only challenged the line on one occasion.

But it was a case of third time lucky for the rugged Bulldogs playmaker, dummying his way past Ben Te'o and Daly Cherry-Evans to take his place in Origin folklore.


Hodkinson then showed nerves of steel to slot the conversion to give NSW a long-awaited series victory.

It took eight years but they finally did it.

For the first time since July 6, 2005, the state of Queensland will finally wallow in the misery of those south of the border.

It was the script to what Queensland fairytales are made of.

Injuries, uncertainty and the underdog tag.

The very concoction that has fuelled so many backs-against-the-wall type victories for the Maroons over the past three decades.

The Blues, bound together by heartache and tragedy - undertook a mission that 70 players that donned the sky blue before them over eight and a bit years have failed to accomplish.

Having won their first game at Suncorp Stadium in five years just three weeks ago, the Blues found themselves in an all too familiar predicament.

NSW led the series 1-0 last year only to get their pants pulled down in game two and eventually lost another series following a loss on home soil in the decider.

But this time was different.

This time they had a chance to win the series in front of 83,421 success-starved New South Welshman.

This time there was no Cooper Cronk, no Corey Parker.

This time Billy Slater, Greg Inglis and Daly Cherry-Evans were all walking wounded.

Just as the Morris twins did in game one, Will Hopoate brushed aside an arm injury to play on through the pain barrier to finish the match.

It was a penalty against Greg Bird in the ruck gave the Maroons first points of the match after 14 minutes courtesy of a penalty goal to Thurston.

It was a forearm to the head of Nate Myles from James Tamou that gifted Thurston another two points in the 30th minute, surpassing Mal Meninga's record of 161 for most points in Origin history.

Trailing 4-0 at half time, the Blues would've been ordered to lift the tempo, but on the first hit up of the second half, Anthony Watmough dumped Myles on his head with a tackle that could see him miss Origin III.

The Maroons looked to have doubled their lead when Sam Thaiday burrowed his way over from close range, however the hand of Hayne knocked the ball free in the nick of time to deny the Queensland lock.

Queensland then suffered a huge setback with Brent Tate leaving the field with a leg injury after a tackle from Ryan Hoffman in the 57th minute, forcing a reshuffle with Chris McQueen moving to the right wing.

With eight minutes remaining, it looked as though it would be the lowest scoring Origin game since Queensland's 2-0 win at the Sydney Football Stadium in game one of the 1995 series.

However Hodkinson's decision to run the ball after five consecutive sets attacking the Maroons line proved a masterstroke, splitting Cherry-Evans and Ben Te'o to score one of NSW's most important tries in 101 Origin games.

Controversy followed from the ensuing kick-off, with replays showing Aaron Woods might have got a touch to a ball that sailed over the dead ball line, presenting NSW with a penalty at half way.

But the Blues held their nerve in the final stages to seal a historic win.

New South Wales 6 (T Hodkinson try T Hodkinson goal) Queensland 4 (J Thurston 2 goals) at ANZ Stadium. Referee: Shayne Hayne, Ben Cummins. Crowd: 83,421

Game 1: NSW 12 bt QLD 8
Game 2: NSW 6 bt QLD 4

Series: NSW lead QLD 2-0

Sydney Morning Herald