Cowboys' Tariq Sims out one game for tackle

Last updated 03:28 14/08/2014

Relevant offers

League

Ivan Cleary favourite for top coaching award Manly infighting leaves Foran weighing future Panther has Mosese Fotuaika on his mind Deja vu as Castle watches Bulldogs win nailbiter Junior Warriors come of age in Holden Cup Tony Iro returns to Warriors as assistant coach Kiwi enjoys night off after Manly exit NRL finals Hodkinson kicks Bulldogs to golden point win Cowboys' Jason Taumalolo presses Kiwi claims Ennis The Menace has last laugh in NRL classic

North Queensland forward Tariq Sims will miss one game after unsuccessfully challenging a grade-one dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary.

He had entered a not guilty plea over a crusher tackle on the Wests Tigers' Tim Simona in Saturday's 64-6 thrashing in Townsville.

Sims failed to have his charge downgraded on Wednesday night at the judiciary, meaning he will have to sit out the Cowboys' away match on Monday night against Penrith.

Coach Paul Green said he was disappointed with the outcome.

"I thought the video clearly showed Tariq took every duty of care he could to make sure Tim Simona wasn't put in a dangerous position," he told the club website.

"I think Simona certainly contributed to putting himself in that position. Attacking players are trying to find their front to get a quick play-the-ball and I think that was definitely the case with Simona.

"As the tackle unfolded, Tariq did everything he could to ensure he (Simona) wasn't put in a dangerous position. There was nothing dangerous about it."

With Sims out, Green will have to find a new starting back-rower to face the Panthers.

"It's only one game and he'll be back the week after bigger and better.

"I'm sure it will put a bit of fire in his belly to make sure he doesn't miss any more games for the rest of the year," Green said.

Sims was suspended for a shoulder charge in the round-11 clash with Canberra.

Parramatta prop Junior Paulo achieved a downgrading of his dangerous throw charge on Raiders counterpart Brett White from a grade two to a grade one.

Paulo will be out for just Friday night's home clash with Canterbury.

He would have spent a month on the sidelines if his challenge had been unsuccessful.

Manly prop Josh Starling was successful in fighting a grade-one dangerous contact offence against South Sydney halfback and former teammate Luke Keary.

The outcome means he is free to play in Sunday's away clash with Gold Coast.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who are you tipping to win the NRL title this year?

Sydney Roosters.

Penrith Panthers.

South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Canterbury Bulldogs.

I stopped watching when the Warriors lost.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content