Andrew Fifita questioned by police

EMMA PARTRIDGE
Last updated 07:40 19/08/2014
Andrew Fifita
Getty
QUESTIONED: Sharks prop Andrew Fifita has been questioned by Australian police after an alleged road rage incident in Sydney.

Relevant offers

League

Promoters looking to fund cheaper kids' tickets for NRL rugby league game in Christchurch Matthew Johns says NZ Warriors should chase Craig Bellamy should McFadden fail ARL chairman John Grant tells NRL clubs profit or perish Jeff Robson to partner Shaun Johnson in halves for early Warriors games Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy hopes contract calls will be made before season Benji Marshall tips Russell Packer to star on his return to league action this weekend Warriors a shining light as NRL audit reveals clubs lost $45.5m last year Warriors wing Manu Vatuvei and wife welcome baby daughter to the family Visa drama delays Konrad Hurrell's trip to Sydney for NRL All Stars match Benji Marshall '50-50' about staying with St George Illawarra Dragons in NRL next year

Cronulla Sharks prop Andrew Fifita has been questioned by Australian police after an alleged road rage incident in Sydney's south on Sunday afternoon. 

Miranda police's acting Inspector Michael Stuart said police were told Fifita, 25, driving in a Jeep, threw an object at a Subaru travelling behind him on Captain Cook Bridge at Taren Point about 2.30pm.

A short time later both cars stopped and Fifita reportedly got out of his car and made verbal threats before punching and kicking the panels of the Subaru being driven by a 23-year-old man.

"Both vehicles stopped on Taren Point Road. The 25-year-old allegedly made threats and punched and kicked the vehicle causing some damage to it," acting Inspector Stuart said.

Police said the alleged victim reported the incident to Miranda police and Fifita later went to the station to give a statement.

No arrest was made but police are considering charges. 

"The matter is still under investigation," he said.

Cronulla released a statement on Monday saying the club was made aware of the incident and that it had informed the NRL.

The former Origin representative's season came to an early end last week when he suffered a broken arm in the Sharks' 16-12 loss to the Warriors in New Zealand.

The forward experienced a breakout season last year, in which he was selected for NSW.  

He also made headlines earlier this year when he signed a four-year deal worth more than A$800,000 a season with the Bulldogs, only to have the contract torn up in late March.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content