NZ Warriors tandem escape Cronulla scandal
Warriors players Chad Townsend and Jayson Bukuya appear to have escaped unscathed from the Sharks supplement scandal despite both playing at the club during the contentious 2011 season.
On Wednesday, 17 past and present Sharks players were offered a deal by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) to receive a 12-month sanction for doping, but will have their sentences back-dated to November 2013.
The players have until today to accept the deal, effectively a three-week ban, or it will be off the table and they could face the mandatory two-year punishment for use of prohibited substances.
Bukuya, who played for the Sharks from 2008 to 2013 was initially thought to be one of the 17 players facing a ban.
Bukuya played in the first 11 games for the Sharks in 2011 before missing the rest of the season with injury. He signed with the Warriors for the 2014 and 2015 seasons and has played in 15 games this season.
He is named on an extended interchange bench for Sunday's game against the Roosters.
On Wednesday, Warriors management said they had not heard from the NRL with regards to Bukuya and any possible action from ASADA and he had been at training in Auckland.
Townsend played for the Sharks from 2011 to 2013 but made his debut in round 13 of the 2011 season, presumably ruling him outside of the window for the supplement scandal.
Kiwi international and Knights player Jeremy Smith is understood to be one of the 17 players spoken to about a ban.
The New Zealand Rugby League said this week that it would not comment on Smith's situation until any action had been taken.