Parramatta's Luke Burt announces retirement

05:24, Jun 15 2012

Parramatta veteran Luke Burt will retire at the end of the 2012 NRL season as a one-club player.

The 31-year-old, who was dropped to NSW Cup side Wentworthville earlier this season, announced on Friday that he decided long ago this would be his final season.

Burt will join close friend Nathan Hindmarsh in retiring at season's end, after the Eels skipper announced earlier this year that he would also hang up the boots.

But Burt has agreed to sign on and become part of the club's coaching staff from 2013 onwards.

He will retire as the club's all-time leading tryscorer in a first grade career that has spanned 14 seasons.

"I've loved every minute playing for Parramatta and being part of this great club, and I made the decision some time ago that this would be my last year," Burt said in a statement on Friday.

"Joining the full-time staff next year will be a new challenge for me and it's one I'm excited about."

Eels' chief executive Bob Bentley said Burt would be remembered as one of the club's greats.

"Luke Burt will rightly go down as one of this club's great players and favourite sons," Bentley said.

"He's developed himself into one of the game's great point-scorers and to build a resume like his takes more than just talent - his professionalism and work ethic has always been second to none."

Advertisement

AAP