Sydney Roosters star Mitchell Pearce has knocked back suggestions he wants to leave the NRL club, saying he's fed-up with constant media speculation surrounding his life.
Pearce was reportedly not even talking to coach Brian Smith as he tried to negotiate a move away from the Roosters but the halfback says those reports couldn't have been further from the truth.
The NSW State of Origin representative says he never asked the Roosters for a release and had held talks with Smith last week just to make sure all was right between the pair.
"We had a meeting last week and everything's sweet," Pearce told reporters on Monday.
"I love the club. There's not roses flying around the room because we're obviously not winning.
"Everyone in the club's lacking confidence at the moment, obviously. Watch the way we're playing. It's just a matter of facing it head-on."
Aside from on-field struggles which have left the Roosters facing a second straight season without NRL finals football, Pearce has also come in for criticism over his perceived playboy lifestyle.
Former NSW halfback and Canterbury assistant Brett Kimmorley said leaving the Roosters might be the best option for Pearce but he doesn't understand where the party-image is coming from.
"I'm definitely committed to football," Pearce said.
"Everyone's saying I'm partying and hanging out with these chicks but you guys aren't at my house.
"I'm not proud of the perception, never once have I come out and said I'm proud of it, I'm embarrassed by it all to be honest. I'm sick of all the media, sick of the papers."
Pearce also said he was not the man to succeed departing star Braith Anasta as the club's captain for next season, with fullback Anthony Minichiello his preferred choice.
"I'd be looking to a guy like Mini for sure," Pearce said.
"I'm probably not ready for that at the moment."
After their heavy first round loss, where do you expect the NZ Warriors to finish in the NRL regular season?Related story: (See story)