Marshall avoids ban, cleared for Storm match

Last updated 08:45 28/08/2012
Benji Marshall
MAKING A MOVE: Benji Marshall is happy to return to five-eighth after an experimental season at halfback.

Relevant offers


'Don't count out the Kiwis', says Kangaroos star Johnathan Thurston before Four Nations rugby league rumble Could the 'biff' be back for Four Nations after blows traded in England's rugby league win in France? Three games of league sees Timaru teenager signed to Newcastle Knights Kiwis won't underestimate England in Four Nations Up to 10 NRL player managers face possible criminal prosecution after raids England begins Wayne Bennett era with big rugby league win over France Parramatta make their move for Kalyn Ponga North Harbour clinical enough to see off Wellington in NPC semi Kiwis not looking for excuses as they return to unhappy hunting ground Quiet achiever Kevin Proctor making his presence felt in Kiwis squad

Wests Tigers playmaker Benji Marshall is free to play in Saturday night's must-win clash with Melbourne after pleading guilty to a dangerous contact charge.

Marshall received the minimum grade-one charge after it was found that his second-half hit on Sydney Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves in Sunday's 44-20 loss was careless.

The tackle was similar to the one Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello had attempted on Canberra's Josh Dugan last week, but any contact with Waerea-Hargreaves's head was minimal.

The match review committee last week deemed Minichiello's tackle to be reckless and charged him with striking, but he beat a three-week ban by convincing the judiciary that his actions were careless.

As a result, the match review committee was advised that players involved in similar incidents should be charged with dangerous contact as there is no requirement to prove intent, unlike with striking offences.

A grade-one dangerous contact charge carries a base penalty of 100 demerit points, which equates to a one-match ban, but by pleading guilty Marshall receives a 25 per cent discount and is free to play against the Storm on Saturday night.

To qualify for the finals, the Tigers need to win the Leichhardt Oval clash and hope either Brisbane or Canberra lose against Penrith and the Warriors respectively.

Panthers prop Sam McKendry can also escape suspension by pleading guilty to a grade-two careless high tackle on Gold Coast forward Ben Ridge during last Saturday night's win at Centrebet Stadium.

Penrith centre Michael Jennings was not charged over a tackle on Titans skipper Scott Prince after replays showed he made contact with the side of his neck and shoulder - not his nose.

Prince was bleeding profusely after the tackle but it is believed he had already suffered a bloody nose and there may have been slight contact from Penrith five-eighth Lachlan Coote that restarted the bleeding.

Meanwhile, NRL referees' co-coach Stuart Raper has been forced to admit match officials missed a shepherd by Brisbane's Corey Parker against Manly.

Raper also said a try by Sydney Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce against Wests Tigers ''could'' have been disallowed for an obstruction.

The incidents occurred after Raper and Bill Harrigan last week attempted to end confusion about the obstruction rule by producing separate videos for the NRL website and coaches.

Ad Feedback

Parker ran behind a decoy runner, before passing to Jack Reed, who then then kicked into the in-goal area to gain a repeat set in the second half of the Broncos' loss to the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval on Friday.

''This was an obstruction and it was missed by the officials,'' Raper told the NRL website.

''We have reminded all officials about their responsibilities in calling these types of obstructions when they see it.''

- FFX Aus

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content