Brisbane Broncos won't call up Civoniceva

WAYNE HEMING
Last updated 17:54 03/12/2012

Relevant offers

League

Warriors preparing to farewell Nathan Friend as team takes on West Tigers Sydney Roosters win 11th straight, end Manly's NRL finals hopes Souths hooker Issac Luke may have played last game for club after shoulder charge ban NZ Warriors won't block Simon Mannering from going on Kiwis tour to England NRL boss Dave Smith will deliver TV goods says leading digital media expert Auckland sides to battle Canterbury Bulls for national rugby league crown WaiCoa Bay Stallions set high targets for National Premiership NRL veteran Wille Mason confident of playing on next season Savory: No Origin baggage makes Kiwis much better option for NRL clubs Robbie Farah says he was told he will play reserve grade if he stays at Wests Tigers

Brisbane have ruled out re-activating Petero Civoniceva's NRL career should the club have a front-row crisis in 2013.

After agreeing to play for Queensland Cup grand finalists Redcliffe next season, the highly decorated Civoniceva could potentially receive an NRL call-up with the Dolphins one of four affiliate clubs Brisbane can pull players from during the season.

Civoniceva retired from the NRL after his 309th game - 235 for Brisbane - in September.

However, Brisbane football manager Andrew Gee said on Monday the club was unlikely to go knocking on Civoniceva's door next season with a strong batch of front-rowers led by Ben Hannant, Josh McGuire, Dave Hala, Dunamis Lui, Scott Anderson and Mitchell Dodds to call on.

Skipper Sam Thaiday could also move up front if needed.

Civoniceva pulled on the boots just last month to play for the Australian Legends against the PNG Legends in Port Morseby.

"We could call him up," Gee told AAP.

"But Petero has made his decision to retire (from the NRL) as we respect that.

"He obviously feels an obligation to Redcliffe where it all started for him.

"He is in our affiliate system but we won't be going knocking on his door."

Meanwhile, back-up hooker Kurt Baptiste will continue his NRL career with Brisbane after having talks with at least two rival NRL clubs about 2013.

Brisbane gave the 21 year-old Aspley Devils junior permission to talk with Newcastle and also Canberra but he'll be staying at Red Hill with the Broncos where he made his NRL debut against Manly in 2011.

Baptiste, a skillful ball player, played one NRL game for Brisbane last season.

Brisbane's signing of impressive Wynnum Manly utility Jake Granville, equally at home at hooker or fullback, has strengthened the club's utility stocks for next season.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content