BJ Leilua handed four match NRL ban

Last updated 20:29 21/12/2012
Joseph Leilua
Getty Images
Banned: The Ex-Roosters star centre BJ Leilua has been handed a four match ban.

Relevant offers

League

Being back in Auckland is helping - Kieran Foran Kiwis hardman Martin Taupau vows to keep aggressive NRL style Titans skipper Ryan James cleared by judiciary to face Warriors Ivan Cleary offered Wests Tigers job until 2020 Scrap the 'slap' from the NRL, urges Australian test prop Nate Myles Kieran Foran named to start for Warriors against Titans New South Wales coach Laurie Daley says Shaun Johnson needs a reality check Wests Tigers to meet Ivan Cleary this week as round six start date looms The Bulldogs don't need to sack Des Hasler, they need a player to get angry Warriors have to muscle up or vaunted attack will never fire

Axed Sydney Roosters centre BJ Leilua will have to sit out the first four matches of next year's NRL season regardless of which club he signs for.

The ARLC has announced it will impose a conditional registration on any contract submitted for Leilua that he cannot play until after round four.

The ban is in response to Leilua being found to have sent a naked photo of his ex-girlfriend to her brother and best friend and being placed on a one-year good behaviour bond with no conviction recorded.

Leilua was cleared of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.

The 21-year-old was on Tuesday released from the final two years of his Roosters contract and is now expected to sign with the Newcastle Knights once the ARLC officially announces an increase to the 2013 salary cap.

The NRL say they had been in the process of conducting a review of penalties and procedures imposed by the Roosters when he was terminated by the club.

"The matter proven in court is one that nobody can or should support," said NRL Interim Chief Executive, Shane Mattiske.

"Respectful relationships and the dangers of misusing social media are key elements of our education programs and BJ has been a part of those programs.

"The timing of the October court case was such that we gave the Roosters considerable opportunity to look at all aspects and report to the NRL.

"No matter if the player had stayed at the Roosters or gone to another club, we believe the original act, now proven in court, warrants the player being stood out of the game for some period.

"We will also seek assurances that any future club ensures that BJ participates in education programs to assist in learning from this experience."

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content