Bellamy remains coy on his Melbourne future
Craig Bellamy has refused to give any guarantees about his future as Melbourne coach with the NRL premiership-winning mentor strongly tipped to take over as St George Illawarra coach next season.
Bellamy and current Dragons coach Steve Price were both present at Wednesday's meeting with newly-appointed referees boss Daniel Anderson at Rugby League Central, but left the building separately.
Price refused to talk to the waiting media and Bellamy reluctantly reiterated his intention to make a decision on his future before the Storm travel to England to take part in the World Club Challenge against Leeds next month.
"I hope to have something to say then," Bellamy said.
"I still have a few decisions to make before I decide."
Bellamy refused to comment when asked if he felt awkward being in the same room as Price, who is also off-contract and under pressure after failing to take the Dragons to the finals last season in his first year in charge.
However, he said speculation Storm skipper Cameron Smith could one day take over as captain-coach of the Storm was wide of the mark.
"No, I don't think he can do that, it would be too hard," he said.
Smith, who has only just returned to training following a heavy workload in 2012, joked his teammates would like him to be given the role, but said the demands of the current game wouldn't allow for it.
"All the boys are on to Bellyache (Bellamy) about moving on and making me captain-coach and make training a bit easier," the Queensland and Australia skipper said on Wednesday.
"But if we're all honest with each other ... you can't have a captain-coach. I see how many hours he puts into his work.
"Being captain of this club and captaining two other sides I don't think it is humanly possible.
"It would put a lot of stress on my family and I don't want that to happen."
Despite being one of his closest confidants, Smith said he had no idea if Bellamy would stay with the club he joined in 2003.
"I have no gut feeling at all," he said.
"I'd like to see him stay, I spoke to his son earlier and he has no idea either.
"But if he does decide to move on then good luck to him."