Smith: No leniency for State of Origin fighters

Last updated 12:12 26/06/2013
Paul Gallen and Nate Myles
Getty Images

WEDNESDAY NIGHT FIGHTS: New South Wales captain Paul Gallen throws punches at his Queensland counterpart Nate Myles during Origin I.

Relevant offers


Parramatta make their move for Kalyn Ponga North Harbour clinical enough to see off Wellington in NPC semi Kiwis not looking for excuses as they return to unhappy hunting ground Quiet achiever Kevin Proctor making his presence felt in Kiwis squad Why police raids on player managers are good news for the NRL Benji Marshall signs one-season NRL seal with Brisbane Broncos after heart-to-heart with Wayne Bennett Former New Zealand rugby league international Harry 'Doug' Anderson dies Six agents to be named in NRL report about Parramatta Eels salary cap scandal Dead soldier's dad wants tougher policing on tackling Jesse Bromwich says Kiwis will learn from reality check as skipper rallies troops for Four Nations defence

Rugby league boss David Smith has issued an ultimatum ahead of tonight's second State of Origin match that any players who engage in fighting can expect no leniency at the judiciary.

In the past players have been granted considerable leeway in the Origin arena when compared to the NRL. But since Paul Gallen's one-way fisticuffs with Nate Myles in the series opener, ARL  Commission chief executive Smith has drawn a clear line in the sand to indicate fighting will no longer be tolerated by the game's governing body at any level.

That stance was confirmed earlier this week when four Under-20s players were banned for a total of 14 matches after a wild brawl in a game between Canberra and Wests Tigers.

''We've got millions of people watching that game tonight, lots of mums, and we want their little girls and their little boys to be playing our game,'' Smith said today.

''That's the long and short of it. We've made our position pretty clear, there's no different rules, the rules will be applied.''

Ahead of the match both Queensland and NSW have conceded that the goalposts have shifted in regard to the game's stance on illegal play and that players who want to punch on will inevitably be sin-binned or even sent-off and could cost their side victory.

Smith said he was sure both players and match officials now understood that the fighting that was tolerated in the past would  no longer be.

''We apply the rules consistently and that's what will happen this evening and the referees know that,'' he said.

''You've heard both teams talk and all they really care about is winning. And frankly the rules are the rules. And I'm sure all the players will abide by the rules and if they don't, our position is  pretty clear and the referees will apply the rules.

''It's probably one of the most anticipated games in history tonight. The crowd will be great and the game will be great."

Ad Feedback



Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content