Melbourne Storm back-rower Tohu Harris isn't one to dwell on disappointments and says there were positives to come out of his New Zealand World Cup squad axing.
Harris made way when superstar Sonny Bill Williams made a late decision to play in last year's World Cup.
While initially disappointed, the 22-year-old said his omission meant he could have ankle surgery and prepare for a January wedding to his partner Natalie.
"There was nothing I could do about it so I just looked at the positives," he said.
"I still had my wedding to look forward and it meant that I had the extra time to have the surgery and get my injury right before the start of the season."
Harris wants to make a name for his on-field exploits rather than as the player dropped for Williams.
If he emulates his 2013 season - scoring a try in the World Club Challenge, making his Kiwis Test debut in the Anzac Test, playing NRL finals and being named the Storm's rookie of the year - that's a certainty.
Harris said there was added competition for spots in the Storm pack this NRL season, which gets underway against old foes Manly at Brookvale Oval on Friday night.
The Storm have added some depth in the forwards through new recruits Felise Kaufusi (Cowboys), Dayne Weston (Panthers), and Manly cult hero George Rose.
Prop Rose has shed eight kilograms and is fighting fit after switching to the Storm on a one-year deal.
Harris said Rose hadn't spoken about facing his old team, nor had the Melbourne players probed him for inside information.
"We're not really focused on the opposition. We're focused on ourselves and trying to get out processes right and be as consistent as we can be," Harris said.
"There's a lot of competition and big George adds a lot of experience to the team.
"It's been better for the team overall with everyone pushing themselves to get a spot."
Is Simon Mannering the best Warriors player of all time?Related story: (See story)