George Rose staying at Melboure Storm, club says

Last updated 20:13 09/04/2014
George Rose
Getty Images
BIG UNIT: George Rose rose on the charge for Melbourne Storm.

Relevant offers

League

Bid for Wellington NRL team officially launched Kiwis could be best in history - former coaches Best still yet to come from Kiwis, says Foran We will fix recruiting, say Warriors front office More games for Kiwis a difficult fit in calendar Rabbitoh Walker charged with domestic abuse Aussie group pushes for NRL franchise in capital Wigan's Flower avoids sack for grand final punch Benji Marshall backing Packer's NRL comeback Kiwis up for international league player of year

Melbourne insist George Rose will see out the remainder of his one-year deal with the Storm, despite claims the prop had sought a release from the NRL club.

Reports emerged earlier today that Rose had been struggling with living away from his Sydney-based family since his shift from Manly and wanted to return home.

The Storm later denied he was leaving, but stopped short of confirming whether Rose had sought a release.

"George is a valued player at the Melbourne Storm and will remain a key member of our 2014 squad," Storm football director Frank Ponissi said in a statement on Wednesday.

"The club's player welfare team has worked closely with George to assist with his transition from Sydney and will continue to do so for the remainder of the season."

The 31-year-old has averaged barely 20 minutes in four NRL games since his move south in the off-season.

According to Fairfax, Melbourne were not keen to let Rose go after front-rower Jordan McLean was suspended for seven matches for his tackle on Newcastle's Alex McKinnon.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content